Club Forum

New Web Site

Announcements and news items for club members
davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

New Web Site

Postby davew » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:12 pm

It's taken a while to get there but the new club web site is in the final round of testing. I expect to switch the site over in the next few days.

The new site is based on an e-commerce solution so it makes the secure implementation of event, membership and club merchandise payments a lot easier. Most of the work has been in integrating the forum and gallery so they are now part of the main web site rather than 3 seperate sites. I have spent way too many hours moving results and pictures from the old site into the new system, it has been a bit of a trip down memory lane though !

Initially the "shop" part of the site will be hidden while I finalise the payment options but if all goes well Dunkeswick will be available to pay/book online as soon as the paypal account is verified.

You may get the odd glitch in the run up to the switch over with odd errors popping up. If you have consistent problems please let me know via email or here if you can access the forum.

The current web site will remain available at:
http://archive.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/ and I've implemented a series of redirects that will reroute the majority of existing links to the site so they don't break.

cheers

Dave

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: New Web Site

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:02 pm

This sort of unseen effort is the backbone of a successful club - Well done! And thanks for all the work that you have/are putting in.

geoff
Full Name: Geoff Ball

Well done

Postby geoff » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:12 am

I have to agree with Roger and would like to add my thanks for all of your efforts.

Looking forward to seeing the new site.

Geoff

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Re: New Web Site

Postby tecnick » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Rog said
TwoSheds wrote:This sort of unseen effort is the backbone of a successful club - Well done! And thanks for all the work that you have/are putting in.

I think chassis would have been a more apt phrase :lol:

I agree, especially as I am a copmputer numpty.

cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:41 am

Well, it's switched over !

I'll be monitoring the error logs on the server over the next few days and try and catch any problems there but please let me know if you spot anything untoward.

I haven't copied the links page from the old site because I'd prefer to let people maintain their own links - if you want a link to your web site go to links and use the submit button in the appropriate category.

For the links management and, later, for the online booking/payments you will need to register. This is a separate registration to the forum because the "shop" needs more information than the forum. I will look at further combining the logins at a later stage (if you register with the same email address as you used on the forum, that will help this process).

cheers

Dave

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:09 pm

very posh!

well done to that fella in the red chevette :lol:

although for some reason it wouldnt recognise my original password and i had to use the 'forgot password' route to get in....
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Johnb
Full Name: John Bilton

Postby Johnb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:27 pm

I agree with Nick - looks good and I also had a password problem first time. Looking forward to booking and paying things online. See you at Dunkeswick, hopefully with a 90 that will pass scrutineering, although weather this weekend looks a bit moody :cry:
"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:23 pm

Because the web address for the forum has changed the "cookie" that stores your login information for the "log me in automatically" option won't work. Browsers that save the name and password for you will also "forget" the settings.

None of the passwords have been changed so as long as you can remember your password you should be fine... if you can't remember it you will need to use the "I forgot my password" link on the login page - if all else fails let me know and I'll sort it.

I've added Dunkeswick as the first online booking option, we'll see how it goes and decide if we need to make any changes. Any feedback you have about the online process or anything else about the site, let me know.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:17 pm

There is a new user group "news via Email" that I have created. If you wish to receive regular updates via email then you need to join that group.
It's an open group so you can join it and leave it as and when you wish to.

Click on the "Usergroups" link near the top of the page, select the group and subscribe to it.

An email will be sent out to all members of that group, probably once a week, as a kind of "digest" of all changed and added topics since your last visit to the site. This is in response to feedback we have had from those who forget to visit the forum.

Return to “News”