Club Forum

Oil quantity

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Oil quantity

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Just changed the engine oil on my 200tdi plus the filter. The haynes book of lies says it needs 6.85 litres for this. I only put 4 and a bit in and it's up to the level, even after running the engine to fill the filter.

Is the haynes wrong?

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Just checked again and it's just over the high mark. The dipstick is buried under the turbo hose, so much so that you have to distort the hose to get it past. Is that usual? or has someone fitted a different dipstick tube in the past?

The oil I drained out was only about 4-5 litres too and had been on the N mark on the stick. I've never had the oil pressure light come on while running and it goes out seconds after starting.

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:33 pm

The following is taken from the Landrover 200Tdi Defender supplement

CAPACITIES
The following capacity figures are approximate and are provided as a guide only. All oil levels must be set
using the dipstick or level plugs as applicable.
Engine sump oil ................................................................ 6,OO litres (10.56 pints)
Transfer box oil ................................................................ 2,30 litres (4 pints)
Cooling system ................................................................ 11,10 litres (20 pints)
Extra when filling following new filter .............................. 0,85 litres (1.50 pints)
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Well, checking around on other forums and Bo's response had confirmed that I hadn't got enough oil in there but the stick was showing full.

The dipstick length is 465mm from tip to the bottom of the bell shaped cover.
The tube is 225mm from the top of the nut on the engine to the top of the tube. Then I wiggled it a bit and suddenly got an extra 30mm :shock:
One of the forums gave a length for the tube as 295mm so I need to investigate further. I've added another litre to get it to the N mark now so thats maybe 6 in total.

Can anyone with a 200tdi 90, measure the length of the dipstick tube from the top of the nut on the engine to the top of the tube please?

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Oh, and is it possible to take the tube out from the engine without draining hte oil first?

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 am

Jabba wrote:Oh, and is it possible to take the tube out from the engine without draining hte oil first?
Yes :) (at last a question I can answer! )

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 am

Got the tube out this morning and found a couple of inches below the nut. Tightened up the olive by flaring the pipe a bit more and fitted it back.

Now I can actually reach the end of the dipstick without groveling under the hoses. The engine has now taken more like the 6.85 litres it should have.

Return to “Technical Info”