Club Forum

timing belt on 300tdi

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

timing belt on 300tdi

Postby kingsonlim » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Fitted new timing belt to my disco 2 weeks back.....and it snapped last night.....

Before fitting the timing belt, injection pump sprocket was loosen first. Then when fitted the belt, tensioner was tighten first, then tighten the injection pump sprocket (2 stage tightening).

New idler, tensioner, crank sprocket with revised shoulder was fitted.

So now, am wondering why the belt slide off and grind on the timing case cover???

Loose belt??? But the tensioner did not get loose when I open it up today.

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Has yours been fitted with the modified cover and guides or just the guides (Kit 2). If it has had a Kit 1 fitted which is the full lot, it should be identified with a blob of paint on the case, if not, this may be the cause.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:01 pm

I know next to nothing about diesels but I do recall seeing a problem with the revised pulley not going home all the way, even when fully tightened.

I can't remember the cause but it was as a result of upgrading from the old pulley style to the new one with the shoulders on it and the slight misalignment it caused had resulted in the belt being shredded. Even with everything tightened up fully when you actually looked across the pulleys one of them wasn't fully home.

I'd take a very close look at the alignment of all the pulleys and make sure they are all perfectly in line with each other.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: timing belt on 300tdi

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 am

Sorry to hear that Kingson - I hope that there was no serious inconvenience or 'collateral damage'

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:41 am

Crank pulley has to be forced onto a large O ring, it's possible to get it fitted (or looks like fitted) without it being located on O ring, this could cause the problem.

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:44 am

am now wondering if the O ring has came off myself, causing a gap and belt closer to case and grounded to destruction...

am on the later type kit with shoulder on crank sprocket. Will start taking rocker cover apart to have a look, once it stops pissing down....!!!

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:32 pm

I bet ure gutted arent you ????.. I bet richard will come over all funny after reading this !!
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:21 pm

5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Ermm

Postby Zedman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm

A little bit worrying )

Since my new ride is on a Q plate and made up out of bits the VIN is probably no help at all.

If the weather is good this weekend or I can get a few days off I will take the cover off and do a visual inspection, the edge of Kingsons belt was all chewed up (the edge towards the front of the vehicle).

I will also recheck the tension from that informative but somewhat confusing link ).

Dave do you mind if I hang onto the torque wrench a bit longer till I get one of my own, I'm only a call away if you need it back, PS I also have a wing mirror for you that Kingson sent up with me, was going to drop it off tonight but we have had a kitten missing for 2 nights and my mind wasnt really with it.

Off topic but for the animal lovers, on the 3rd night of trawling the neighbour hood (in the pouring rain tonight), posters, 200 flyers through people letter boxes I was walking round the streets again calling out and I hear a pitifull whine from some old garages, to cut a long story short the kity is back and when the wife gets home I will probably racked up a years worth of browny points )
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm

You can hang onto the torque wrench till you're done. I have a normal one if I need it.

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 pm

rocker cover off.......damaged founds are : 4 x bent push rod & 1 broken rocker arm.

Reason for snapped timing belt.........O ring not sitting right at the back of crank sprocket, hence belt was sitting about 2mm further out and was catching on the timing cover. am really gutted at that...but at least learnt something valuable...

Richard.....the o ring on your crank shaft dis not come off while fitting the new crank sprocket, so you may be safe......

Zedman

Crank shaft pully

Postby Zedman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Do all the pistons look intact ?

Zedman

Kingson

Postby Zedman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Kingson, was it the crankshaft pulley on mine that you used the old pulley to as a cushion and hammered on it repeatadly make sure it was seated all the way on ? if so I am pretty confident all is good and prepared to leave it be )

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 am

Richard...that's the one......apparently, the o ring on mine at the back of the crank sprocket has broken and was not seated properly. Picked up all the parts from 4 plus 4...so should get it going if I find a couple of hours today to sort it out.

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 pm

woohoo....disco back on the road....

tried numerous times to get the crank sprocket seated in with the O rig, but always 2mm out.....so decided to go without the O ring, and it went in perfect......so final damage count......changed 8 push rods, 1 rocker arm, and 1 new timing belt...think i got off lightly...

Return to “Technical Info”