Copyright © 2018 Yorkshire Off Road Club
Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Just about completed the exercise of fitting the ARB's into Kermit from the trayback I bought last week but I've come up against a bit of a problem.
Both axles on the trayback were disco ones and although my rear one is a disco, the front is a defender one. I had to swap the front halfshafts/CV's between the two vehicles as mine were 10 spline and the ARB was 24 spline. The trayback went back together OK but now I've built up the front end of mine there's only about 11mm of halfshaft splines protruding out of the front stub axle which is not enough to get the flange on.
I suspect that either the disco halfshaft/CV is a bit shorter than the Defender ones or the stub axle/hub on the Defender axle is a bit thicker.
I'd rather not have to swap the whole axle over (and swat the diffs again!) - is there another fix by say fitting a discovery stub axle/hub (whichever one is the offending part)?
Just remember I had the original front shafts (10 spline) from when I stripped the vehicle last year. Rooted them out of the cellar and bugger me - the shaft from the CV to the outside end is an inch longer !
That being the case and assuming the axle casing is the same dimensions on a Defender/Discovery, I guess I've got to either get some Defender 24 spline shafts/CV's or go the whole hog and swap to Discovery stub axle/hub/brake disc/caliper
Think I'll just try and source some defender 24 spline shafts for now as everything else (discs, calipers, etc) is either new or in very good condition.
So, if anyone's got a set of Defender shafts/CV's let me know. Meanwhile I'll be looking on Fleabay.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests