Club Forum

Heater / Glow plugs

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
GazT
Full Name: Gary Taylor

Heater / Glow plugs

Postby GazT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:13 am

Hi all,
I noticed that my 200TDi 90 didn't want to start a little while ago. It had started perfectly when the temperature outside was warm but when it snowed it was a different story. It started eventually but it made me think that the heater plugs were not working. Is the relay the likely cause or if one heater plug fails, is the circuit broken as they are in wired in series?
It's one of the first jobs I want to sort out in 2 weeks time.
Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Gaz.
Success is the ability to move from one failure to another without any loss of enthusiasm.
Enthusiasm kindly donated by 200TDi 90 & Honda Fireblade RR!

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: Heater / Glow plugs

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:06 am

This isn't going to answer your question I'm afraid, but might help with the starting...

I have a Pug 406 for my sins and it is reluctant to start if I follow 'normal' starting practice (ie, if I turn it over as soon as the heater light goes out) and my thoughts went something like this:
1. Battery low? No - got a new one that charges ok and spins for England
2. Some sort of high resistance joint in the heater circuit? (possibly a knackered relay) - possible....
3. One or more duff heater plugs ?

Anyway - the fact is that I have done no furthher investigation since this is just a hack... And anyway I have established through trial and error, a certain way of starting it first touch (well, within a couple of seconds anyway):
What I do is I turn it on and I wait for the heater light to go out and then I count to five before cranking it (usually while putting my seat-belt on). Works every time and reduces the load on the battery and the puff of diesel smoke on start up.
As I said - it doesn't answer the question, but this technique (or something like it) might help alleviate the symptoms in the mean time.
:)
Roger

GazT

Postby GazT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:29 am

Hi Roger,

My heater light doesn't even come on! Don't know if this is controlled by the relay at all but need to get the Haynes out I think.
Thanks for the reply though,

Cheers,
Gaz.
Success is the ability to move from one failure to another without any loss of enthusiasm.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:08 pm

i know it doesnt help - but are you sure its heater plug related?

both my wifes old 200tdi disco and my 300tdi defender have never needed the glow plugs to start first crank of the engine, even in deepest coldest winter. The disco would catch on possibly the second revolution of the engine if it was reeeeally cold, and that had 180K on the clock!

in fact - the disco never had them wired up for over a year until i found a "loose cable" and wondered what it was for and traced it back to the relay!!!
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

GazT

Postby GazT » Wed May 02, 2007 4:39 am

Hi Nick,
You may be right mate as I normally drive the 300tdi defenders and have never had to wait for the heater plugs. Not too familiar with the 200tdi even though it is essentially the same engine. Didn't have time to diagnose the fault once it had occured as I had to leave the country again but will have a look in 10 days when I get back.

Thanks mate,

Gaz.

Return to “Technical Info”