Club Forum

Leaking Winch

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
olzook
Full Name: oliver heselton

Leaking Winch

Postby olzook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:48 pm

The 8274 has had a bit more use than usual this year but has been fine.

Last used a few weeks ago to recover one of Varleys friends on the C to C, and my self out of a large rut...ahem.

The other night I noticed a pool of oil in front of the 90 and on inspection the winch try is covered with oil.

I presume there is main shaft/drum seal to the bottom housing and can that just give up all of a sudden?

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:00 pm

You probably have too much oil in it.

The seal between the drum and the housing is pretty ineffective and I suspect it's for that reason that the Warn recommended oil quantity takes it to a point just below the drum. There is a big O ring on the end of the drum but it's more to keep mud out than oil in as far as I can see.

It could be seen as self regulating in that if you do overfill it it will eventually return to the correct level. If you don't think it's been overfilled I would pull the top off and take a look inside - it may be filling with water and that would increase the level and cause the oil to leak out.

olzook

Postby olzook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Last time I topped it up was two months ago and I always fill it just to the main shaft, it always weeps a bit but not a lot.

It hasnt been near any deep water and is stored inside, and the leak is very very recent??????

Wanted to make sure it was right before it goes on ebay, or to any interested parties on here.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Won't you need it for the MT or are you getting a Gigglepin ?

olzook

Postby olzook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:47 pm

No, I was going to bitch for Mark but sadly with it being moved from early March it is the same weekend I am skiing with the family, so I am going to miss it all together (thats been booked for 18 mths)

It is surplus at the moment as having a bit of a rationalisation of stuff and a change of direction :? Other stuff to concentrate on at present.

Been a good winch though 8)

Return to “Technical Info”