Club Forum

Alternator swap

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Alternator swap

Postby varleym » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 pm

All

Bought a 'spare' alternator for the motor (secondhand via 'the Bay'). As mine is a 200Tdi motor I assumed that it would have a 200Tdi alternator on it, however the new 'replacement' has different connections on the back.

The current alternator has a 3 pin Lucas connector on the back whereas the new one has 3 separate ring terminal connectors. After a bit of investigation it seems the new alternator is indeed a proper 200 Tdi one and the current one is probably from the original engine before the 200 Tdi conversion was done. The new alternator will obviously fit on the engine.

So.......... Question is, can I simply cut the existing Lucas plug off the wiring loom, crimp some ring terminals on and away we go? There are two larger ring terminals and a smaller one on the back of the new alternator which correspond to the two thick and one thin wire on the Lucas connector and although I'm no auto-electrician I suspect it's probably important to get the two thick wires the right way round.

Any advice?

Cheers

Mark

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Thats just what I did on the alternator I got for my 300tdi... snip snip snip!
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Mark the 2 thick wires are commoned together (B+) on new alt the thin one goes to Ind.
Matthew

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Ta

Return to “Technical Info”