Club Forum

Rear trailing arm

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Adrian Dawes
Full Name: Adrian Dawes

Rear trailing arm

Postby Adrian Dawes » Wed May 30, 2012 9:00 am

Hello all, a bit of advice please.

I was at Robin Hoods Bay this weekend and managed to alter the shape of my left rear trailing arm (or lower link as it is called)... OK so I bent it.
Did some bush mechanics and got home OK.

Question is, as I am going to replace it (but will do both sides), should I also replace the bushes?
have seen that Paddocks do a replacement bush kit just for the trailing arms, but also do a full kit. Is it a big job to replace all of the bushes on the vehicle, or am I just making work for myself?

Can any of you recommend where to buy the trailing arms/bushes from as am just looking round at the moment for best deal. Want something that will last but not break the bank.

Oh, I think I need the cranked ones for a Disco 1.

Thank you Adrian
You never stop learning!

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Wed May 30, 2012 10:00 am

I dont know much about the trailing arms, after market bent ones may be stronger and lighter I guess and your suspension geometry may require bent one for increased droop and to relieve stess on the bushes (waffle waffle) but what I do know is... dont buy the cheap sh1t paddock bushes, thay are worse than useless. I made the mistake of buying them and they needed replacing inside one YORC season. If the current bushes are ok, use 'em if not buy quality bushes such as Superpro (who sell individual componants as well as full sets)

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:46 pm

genuine polybush bushes aint that much better either!
they've been on for just under 2 years and the panhard rod and front radius arm bushes all have play in them and one rear radius bush fell to bits last year.

personally, if i had the equipment available, I would go back to genuine landrover metalastic bushes in a heartbeat! The set that was on my truck originally lasted 125K miles before giving significant play!!! But i do all my work on a drive with normal hand tools, so I will be buying some superpro bushes as required...
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed May 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm still running the same SuperPro bushes on my motor that I fitted for Australia in 2008, with the exception of the pan hard rod bushes that I had to change when I changed from an imperial to metric panhard rod :)

Fitted SuperPro to Pam's 90 when I rebuilt it and recently had to replace the rear trailing arm to axle bushes due to a bolt coming slightly loose and wearing away the metal liner in the bush, the bush itself was fine !

I wouldn't fit anything else.

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Wed May 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Adrian

I run Superpro on Kermit as well. Incidentally, I've got a old pair of Defender trailing arms if you want them FOC. Not sure if they'll fit yours (it's a series 3 isn't it) but some of the more techically minded on the Forum will be able to comment on that.

Cheers

Mark

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Wed May 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Series 3? dont be fooled by the quaint exterior eh Adrian?
Not sure they will fit though disco is 100" , defender 90 or 110. Any else shed the light?
Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed May 30, 2012 8:17 pm

The trailing arms are all the same, the wheelbase is determined by the chassis length rather than the arms.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 pm

I've offered him a pair complete with superpro bushes both ends, waiting for him to get the message.
Matthew

Return to “Technical Info”