Club Forum

Exhaust repair clamps?

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Exhaust repair clamps?

Postby repton » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:24 pm

I've had to take part of the Rimmer Bros Stainless Sports exhaust off the 110 and although the pipework is all stainless it seems some of the clamp pieces that hold it together are only made in mild steel and after 10 years are starting to show their age.

There are two joints that are clamped together with a ring on either side of the joint and three nuts and bolts and the rings have corroded to the point where I will struggle to make a decent job of putting it back on. This is an example of the piece of exhaust I'm on about:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LR1068F

Obviously I can't just replace those rings as they were fitted before the end was welded on so does anyone know if there is some kind of clamp you can put round the exhaust in place of these to hold it all together?

TIA,
Paul

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 am

Exhaust flange clamp....
Attachments
clamp.jpg
clamp.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 19966 times
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Those might work but personally I'd be on the phone to Rimmers asking them to honour their 25 year warranty, if the corroded part was removable and replaceable then ok but as it's integral to the system and can't be replaced then the system is foobard, ie get them to replace it FOC.
Matthew

repton

Postby repton » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Hmm, I didn't realise it had that long a warranty, I hope I've still got some of the original paperwork...

Paul

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Don't know but usually the SS exhaust people say 25 years as long as you keep the car, should certainly be at least 15 though otherwise it's pretty piss poor.
Matthew

repton

Postby repton » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Well from photos of when I fitted it I got it in 2003 so it's only 9 years old so even if it's only a 10 year warranty it should be covered. Not been home yet this week so not had a chance to look for paperwork.

Paul

MICHAEL HANIF
Full Name: michael hanif

brackets

Postby MICHAEL HANIF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:06 am

the problem with using mild steel straight to stainless due to the fact the mild steel will corrode first as it has a different corrosion rate ,as the mass of stainless is greater the mild steel will act like a sacraficial anode.

Return to “Technical Info”