Club Forum

Charge Warning Light

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
jimboree
Full Name: James Saywell

Charge Warning Light

Postby jimboree » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 pm

I replaced the alternator in the (Disco) 300Tdi in my hybrid in August 2012 with a new (Denso) part from Paddocks. However, the charge warning light has just started coming on intermittently, independant of the load on the alternator.

I have a dash-mounted voltemeter which I've checked against a good multimeter and I get at least 13.9V (depending on load) and this does not change when the charge light comes on. (The voltmeter is wired into the dashboard electrics btw). Having a reasonable voltage seems to discount any engine earth problems doesn't it? Besides which the earth strap is in good condition and tightly attached at both ends.

WWW research suggests that the new alternator is bust (rectifier problem) and I was going to send it back to Paddocks. Am I right or could something else be up?

Thanks,

James

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Probably a rectifier or regulator problem, unless there's an intermittent short to earth somewhere in the wiring.

Depending on the type of alternator the charge light feed can also act as the "exciter" for the alternator so is connected to the regulator. On that type disconnecting the wire at the alternator would "prove" that he alternator was causing the light to come on bur might also result in the alternator over or under charging.

If you don't need the vehicle on the road I'd send it back and get a replacement.

THE best alternator place in the UK (maybe) is in the centre of Huddersfield, if you need it done quick you can take it there and they'll tell you what's wrong with it and either fix it or sell you the parts, whichever you prefer.
http://www.woodauto.com

They even stock spare Corvette alternators, which is how I found them :)

jimboree
Full Name: James Saywell

Postby jimboree » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks for your help Dave. I still have the old alternator and although it puts out 15V it should be okay for a couple of weeks, so I'll send the new one back.

I'll bear in mind your advice about the place in Huddersfield and go to them next time!

Return to “Technical Info”