Club Forum

track rod ends/hd steering arms

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

track rod ends/hd steering arms

Postby Jabba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:47 pm

It looks like I need to replace the track rod end on my track rod. The rod is also slightly bent (although that's not really given any problems) and I've been thinking about replacing both with HD steering rods.
Given that a new rod end seems to be about a tenner and HD rods look more like 100 quid I'd rather not have to spend quite so much....

Any thoughts on whether I can just replace the rod end or whether I really need to replace the whole thing?

Any thought on whether or which HD rods to go for if I do?

Anyone got a set of HD steering rods they want to sell?

Cheers,
Dave

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Britpart HD steering rods come complete with track rod ends and are very good. I've used them for years without any issues. The down side (if it is a downside) is you can only buy them in pairs so when/if you do manage to bend one you have to buy another pair.

Sumo come in slightly more expensive (Gwynn Lewis is your man for Sumo bars) but you can buy them individually. I've not really noticed much difference between the two (Britpart vs Sumo) in terms of strength/quality.

Gwynn also designed and supplies steering damper adaptors that let you use a Disco 300 setup with a Defender steering damper. If you've not done already changing over to a 300 Disco steering drop arm is a good idea, especially if you're buying new steering arms anyway.

You can just replace the track rod end but if the rod is bent it really needs replacing or it will go banana shaped on you at the most inconvenient time.

Did you get that brake pipe sorted BTW ?

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks Dave, yes I got it sorted. Bought a Draper flaring tool and it seems to work OK.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Whats the change for a Disco 300 drop arm?

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Disco 300 drop arm doesn't have the built in track rod end, the drag link has 2 track rod ends. Makes it much easier to maintain as you can change the TRE in a few minutes rather than having to mess around trying to rebuild the one in the drop arm.

Changing the drop arm can be hard work but it's a one off job. Because you also "lose" the swan neck end on the drag link that the Defender steering damper also connects to, you can use the Gwynn Lewis bracket to attach the steering damper to. The drag link is also longer so when changing the drag link is a good time to change the drop arm.

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:53 am

Dave

I did this 'conversion' on mine if you want to have a look.

Cheers

Mark

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 pm

I did on my last 90 and intend to do it to this one.
Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

mpblandrover
Full Name: Matt Boothroyd

Postby mpblandrover » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:51 am

New HD Arms, track ends, used straight steering arms. All under one roof Dave. 01535 661203.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks but it'll have to wait.... Cambelt has just snapped :(

Return to “Technical Info”