dave willard

90 anti theft devices

Postby dave willard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:40 am

I am looking at making my 90 harder to steal
i am considering-

steering wheel disc lock, they make a large size for the 90

pedal plate several on ebay

gearlever lock one on ebay

bonnet lock there does not seem to be many around, there is an oem on ebay but only for aircon models

ANYONE GOT ANY THOUGHTS/EXPERIANCE ON SECURITY

DAVE

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Dave

I think there was a review of this kind of stuff in International Land Rover Owner about 18 months back. From memory I think the concensus was that the DiscLok (big yellow metal dish that fits over the steering wheel) was the best value for money single item, although I think it costs £100+ for a Landrover.

You see them on Fleabay quite often but usually in smaller sizes that won't fit a Defender.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

mike
Full Name: Mike Burgess

Postby mike » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Dave

I think if someone wants your motor, they will take it. A couple of hours with a spanner later, and it's all in nice little unmarked pieces read to sell on...so one solution to this is to security mark all the pieces.

That said, opportunists can be deterred, and I don't think there's much better than a bloomin' great big yellow thing you can see from miles away. The only problem I find with my Disklok, is that's a big beast of a thing to find somewhere handy to put in once you've taken it off.

I've also got a 'Clutch Claw' http://www.centinel.org.uk/clutch_claw.asp but I think on balance there are better pedal boxes options now. Have a look at X-Eng - that folds flat I think so there's nothing to store when driving.

There are also GPS trackers you can get which obviously don't prevent anyone nicking your car, but can help the Police get it back for you. Have a look at Skytag, although they are apparently friends with the Police, it's a subscription service...

The Centinel guys that sell the Cluch Claw also sell posts to put in your driveway....

Then there are alarms and what-not and individual electrical or mechanical solutions that some people like to devise.... :wink:

I have heard of bonnets being nicked, and know there are a few security hinge sets out there. I think Brendan may sell some, or X-Eng too.

I also think the basics of thinking about where you are parking, what's left on show in the vehicle, turning the wheels etc shouldn't be forgotten either.

I'd start with a Disklok and then move on from there once I'd found some more money or saw what was going to make a difference to my insurance premium.

Cheers

Mike

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm

I've got the Disklok too. I find it fits behind the front seat OK when I'm not using it. It is a bit fiddly to get on and off, especially if the steering wheel is close to your legs. It seemed the most obvious (i.e. visible) deterrent.

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Bo came up with an idea of fitting a Fuel Solenoid Valve like this one on ebay 150672848114to the fuel system. As yet I have not got round to it,but I think its a good idea, yes they can still take it but they will not get far he was also going to fit a tracker so you know where it is
Rod
Stercus fit !

repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

At least one club member has put V8 stickers on his Tdi Defender hoping it might deter anyone wanting something to break for parts. So far it has worked...

Paul

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 am

Keep it looking like a battered up old shed , the opportunists and to a degree the strip n sell brigade will probably go look for something they can make more money on , keep it locked away inside out of site , if all else fails get a Zak . some of you will know what happens when you go to get into a LR with a Zak in it !!!!. Thankfully most people that tried have got very good reactions . :shock:

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:14 pm

Defo what Matthew said, I never locked my 90 - ever. In ossett and horbury literally dozens of defenders have gone walkies over the years, some to regular thefts and some to a gang using a hiab car transporter. No one touched mine 8)

Problem is organised gangs who do this professionally. They turn up and pick your landrover up and drop it on a transporter and make it look like a repossessions order or some such. Plus no matter what you put in for deterrent it won't work if they pick it up!
But if it looks non profitable for stripping, they won't take it.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:14 pm

Defo what Matthew said, I never locked my 90 - ever. In ossett and horbury literally dozens of defenders have gone walkies over the years, some to regular thefts and some to a gang using a hiab car transporter. No one touched mine 8)

Problem is organised gangs who do this professionally. They turn up and pick your landrover up and drop it on a transporter and make it look like a repossessions order or some such. Plus no matter what you put in for deterrent it won't work if they pick it up!
But if it looks non profitable for stripping, they won't take it.
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

leeds
Full Name: Brendan

Postby leeds » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Keep it out of sight if at all possible!

Keep it where a Hiab can not readily get to.

If a newer model consider a good quality tracker. The good systems will tell you when vehicle is moving without engine on!

Physical security? Get a mixture Disc Lock, Simon at X Eng has some good products. Decent bonnet security hinges if you have a Puma bonnet. Yes you can use a chain attaching bonnet to engine but will that second line of defence just annoy scumbags? Doors try 5mm ball bearings in screw heads.

Brendan

Return to “Technical Info”