Club Forum

Rent Free Welding Gas

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Rent Free Welding Gas

Postby repton » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Any recommendations for rent free welding gas for a MIG welder?

I'm currently using BOC Argoshield Universal but it has nearly run out and I'm fed up with paying 80-90 quid a year rental for the bottle when I only fill it up every 5 or so years.

Ideally somewhere with a depot in the Malton/Driffield/Scarborough area would be nice but I'm open to all suggestions.

TIA,
Paul

repton

Re: Rent Free Welding Gas

Postby repton » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:49 pm

I've ended up going with HobbyWeld - http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/

Their HobbyWeld 5 cylinder is the same gas mix as the BOC "Argoshield Light" product and although it is physically roughly the same size as the BOC "X" size cylinder it only contains about half the volume of gas due to only being filled to 135bar (compared to BOCs 230bar). The cost was a £60 deposit and £36 for the gas.

The only downside is the nearest depot to me is in the middle of York but I'm going to talk to a couple of the local engineering places about becoming an agent for them as there is nothing anywhere near the coast between Teesside and the Humber estuary.

Paul

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Is the deposit yearly
Rod
Stercus fit !

repton

Postby repton » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:12 am

No, it's a one off. That's why I went for it instead of my current BOC cylinder which is costing me the best part of 90quid a year in rental. All it will cost me from now on is 36quid every time I want it swapping for a full one. No other charges.

Paul

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Might look at the ultra cylinders next year , good find Paul but 2 months too late !, my BOC renewal is Jan

repton

Postby repton » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:41 pm

I would check on the difference in gas prices before you swap Matthew. Someone like yourself who uses a fair amount of gas might well be better off paying BOCs rental charge if the gas is cheaper. For me a rent free option is a no brainer as I only use the welder a couple of times a year at the very most.

Paul

repton

Postby repton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Matthews wrote:good find Paul but 2 months too late !, my BOC renewal is Jan

I got a rather pleasant surprise through the post this morning. BOC have sent me a £59.32 credit for 8 months of rental on my Argoshield cylinder that I returned! I didn't think the rent was refundable but it seems that it is. That nicely pays for the £60 deposit I had to pay on the HobbyWeld one.

Paul

Return to “Technical Info”