Club Forum

RRC EFI Multi-vent fuel tank replacement - what's best?...

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

RRC EFI Multi-vent fuel tank replacement - what's best?...

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:21 am

My tank is pretty rusty and although it doesn't leak, the mounting flanges are well corroded and I am thinking of replacing it.
So-o-o-o...
Paddocks do a bare tank at £76 and I was thinking of transferring my pump and sender unit to one of those.
But: The sender unit looks like it could be a bit of a bitch to get out with it's well-rusty retaining ring and special tool required... (Landrover Special Tool #1 - hammer and Landrover Special Tool #2 - cold chisel 8) )

Has anybody done this before who can offer any advice before I start to butcher the tank?

Alternatively - are there any other alternatives? :)

Cheers,
Roger

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:32 am

Make sure you get the protection plate that fixes to the bottom of the tank. Fill the gap between the tank and cover with waxoil and sesl the edges with a petrol resistant sealer - tiger seal for example.

If you haven't got one already, make sure to cut an access hole in the floor above the pump.

Get a new sender retaining ring and seal with the tank :)

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Might have one at work , give me a bell and I'll look, if I have it'll be cheap.
Matthew
07977 910221

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 pm

I still have the tank I took out of my rangie, it got some surface rust but nothing that can not be put right
Attachments
Petrol Tank.doc
(838.5 KiB) Downloaded 1299 times
Stercus fit !

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:39 am

Many thanks for the replies :)

Rod - yours looks fine to me, how much do you want for it?

Matthew - thanks but it's easier to go with Rod's offer.

Dave - I haven't got a protector plate (I always thought that the standard one looked a bit flimsy anyway) - I'll keep my eye out for one (or maybe just wait until I can afford a more solid after-market one...)

Roger

<EDIT>
Rod - I just noticed that your tank looks to be a single vent model. Does this matter? (I am not keeping the behind-the-wing collector anyway because it's in the way of my lpg filler)

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:31 am

how about you call in and have a look before we take about money you only live 5minutes away just give me a call 07740923887
Stercus fit !

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Rod & Matthew - I'll be in touch near the end of the week re the tank and the support plate.

Cheers,
Roger

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 am

Matthew - sorry I didn't get in touch about the mounting plate - I had to change my pump into Rod's tank and so have been held up a bit until I can get a gasket...
Interestingly, according to the drawing in my official RR Workshop manual (biggest waste of space on my bookshelf) there is no support plate on my model... But I would rather trust you than it so... Could you let me know how much you want for one and if you could bring it along to the club-night please?
Roger

Return to “Technical Info”