For those of you that don't know - the Disco has a smoking habit. It only runs on two when starting (mucho smoke) and when hot it still smokes a lot on light (almost trailing) throttle. The smoke is unburnt diesel (not black - blue-grey and stinks like paraffin) When hot the car runs well and readily gets up to 80 on the flat.
I got a few minutes to play with it and have the following thoughts/observations:
1. The turbo does have some play, but not much. I don't know how much is too much but I would guess it at about ten thou.
2. There was a big split in the pipe into the turbo, but obviously this wouldn't affect anything. The other hoses look ok to me.
3. The intercooler doesn't look too gungy inside.
4. It doesn't 'breathe' when I lifted the oil filler cap, so I assume the rings are ok.
5. The tappets all have decent clearances.
6. All heaters have the correct resistance and are getting 10 volts when on.
7. When starting from cold it's the central two pots that fire ok and the outers are missing badly (if firing at all). This is repeatable.
All of the above appears to indicate to me that the turbo side of things is ok and the compression is ok and the the fuel burns ok when the engine is hot. The only thing I can think of is that the injectors are weak and so are not producing an effective spray. If they are spurting rather than spraying it would mean that when cold there would be very little burn, but when hot it might still manage to ignite it.
So - do you have any known-good 2nd hand injectors I could try?
Is it much of a job to change them on a 200tdi?
Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests
Copyright © 2018 Yorkshire Off Road Club