Club Forum

P38 problems

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
curley
Full Name: john francis stoner

P38 problems

Postby curley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 pm

I've recently got a P38 2.5 DSE ( the BMW 6 cyl engine) since i got it an oil leak which is running down the intercooler and everything bolow it. when i checked the oil level it had been over filled by some way, could this have been the cause of this or is it just some thing they do by the time they have done 150k. if anyone can give me some pointers as to where the oil could be coming from and if it is easily repaired and how much of the front end i'd have to take off.

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:15 pm

Hello Curly..Too much oil is quite a bad thing.....Does the oil look to be leaking from the pipe joints or actually from somewhere on the intercooler,if this is so,your intercooler has a hole in it somewhere,There will be some signs of oil about in the pipework of the intercooler etc,but shouldnt be full of it.If it has alot of oil in the system it may pull it through and cause the engine to run away,which can fatal for the engine,and for anyone stood close by.. :shock:
Pull ure pipes off and have a look,if theres a fair bit in the pipework drain it out,get the oil level right and give it a steam off under the bonnet,then run it for a bit and see if the oil comes back....I think that makes sense...No doubt Matthew will correct me !!...Hehe !!
I sent you my number in a message,I had a P38 T.D so know the ins and outs...Phil
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 pm

I'd also clean out the intercooler if there's a lot of oil in it and as Phil said give it a good wash (be carefull with jetwash/steam cleaner on intercooler/radiator as they is a bit fragile) and see where it leaks from, if it's been drawn into the intercooler then areas I'd check would be crank breather pipes/filters and the turbo especially with the mileage it's done .
Matthew
BTW Phil's probably got more experience with these than me anyway. :)

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Dont remind me !!!.. :?
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

Return to “Technical Info”