Club Forum

Things that go bump...

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:50 am

WeldUK had a new swan neck for about £14 as I can replace just that and not need the gas switch block. I've also ordered some tips from them.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:13 am

TwoSheds wrote:
davew wrote:If you are using 0.8 wire I should have some spare tips, finding them on the other hand.... :)
They should be in a little box inside the welder cover where the drum of wire goes... :)

I can't believe I never thought of putting them in there, top "tip" Roger :)

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Dave
Why would you want to put your spare tips in Rogers Mig, it would take you long to go over to Rogers when you need one than just trying to find them in your own garage
Stercus fit !

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Jabba wrote:WeldUK had a new swan neck for about £14 as I can replace just that and not need the gas switch block. I've also ordered some tips from them.

Its amazing the difference a new good quality liner makes to the weld if the old one is worn, I would be tempted to change that as well if your doing the rest.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Its amazing the difference a new good quality liner makes to the weld if the old one is worn, I would be tempted to change that as well if your doing the rest.

thats the next job i need to do on my welder when i need it next - supposedly net curtain wire is an extremely good wire feed liner and cuts down the wire friction wonderfully giving a nice smooth feed.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Got a bit more done today. The bottom mounts are on and welded and holes drilled. I need to trim the back of the plates a bit to allow the captive nut holder thingy to fit.

Shaping up well. Might have to trim the ends a bit more though as it sits a bit wider than I expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Very nice, wide is good for protection from that pesky tree/grass bank but not so good for the one gate :twisted:

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:02 pm

nicks90 wrote:

thats the next job i need to do on my welder when i need it next - supposedly net curtain wire is an extremely good wire feed liner and cuts down the wire friction wonderfully giving a nice smooth feed.

Hi Nick, not being a curtain expert, how much are they as a new 3m 'Propper One' is only a fiver or so.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 am

:lol: at Bo

new liners for my stupid SIP welder are a few quid more than that as they use a plastic liner. So not only is it dearer, its rubbish too. If i had known what bad reviews SIPs get on on various forums i wouldnt have bought it, no wonder it was cheap.
curtain wire is about 50p from the market - or free to me as my neighbour makes bespoke curtains and has tonnes of the stuff :lol:
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:16 am

nicks90 wrote::lol: at Bo

new liners for my stupid SIP welder are a few quid more than that as they use a plastic liner. So not only is it dearer, its rubbish too. If i had known what bad reviews SIPs get on on various forums i wouldnt have bought it, no wonder it was cheap.
curtain wire is about 50p from the market - or free to me as my neighbour makes bespoke curtains and has tonnes of the stuff :lol:

Hi
I have had my clarke mig for 20years
I use machine mart for consuables but have also used SIP parts as they sre the same (lining swan neck tips etc)
one advantage is that MM are open weekends (LEEDS BRADFORD BARNSLEY when a spare is needed in the middle of a project
Look online

Also Screwfix stock wire & tips etc again open late eve & weekends

Also look in B & Q

Dave

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Bit more done this lunchtime...

Got the slots cut for the top mount plates as they have to sit through the box section. Plates in place and tack welded ready for checking the hole placement and seam welding.

Also went round and removed some of the bird poo welding elsewhere and re-did it so that it won't fall apart at the first tug!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Finally got all the welding finished and the top mounting holes drilled. It even fits!

Now just need to take it down to Marlyn and see if they can fab up the recovery loops and fit them.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:51 pm

And Dave says I overengineer stuff !! nice job though

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Just had a word with Marlyn and they can't bend the bar for the recovery loops (well not for sensible money) so I'm going to do it myself.

I've got the 16mm bar and can make up a jig to shape it on but thought I'd check if anyone else has done this before...

They suggested setting two tubes in a base that could be clamped in the vise and the rod inserted between them. Then gradually shape the bend round the tube. The shape I need to make is below. The odd length legs are to allow the top one to be welded along the mounting plate.

Also, I've only got a butane brazing lamp to heat it with. Will this be enough, or does anyone have a small oxy set I could 'hire'?

Any suggestions welcome (even sarky ones :lol: )

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:04 pm

wouldnt it be simpler to just fit a couple of swivel recovery eyes to the front bumper instead?

these ones even come with the bow shackles.
http://www.firstfour.co.uk/recovery-poi ... 363808.php
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

Return to “Member's Vehicles”