Club Forum

No its not broken its just an ongoing resoration project )

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

The fun has just started

Postby Zedman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:44 pm

The fun has just started.
Seems I have found out why the Warn winch has never been used and why the winch bumper was only fastened on with 2 bolts, firstly the winch wasnt event bolted down, it was only sat in position, disconnected the 2 wires and it lifted straight out, I think its also going to need a bit of TLC, now the bumper, seems at some time one of the bolts going in thro the top has sheared of leaving a totaly inaccesible length hidden inside the box section locking it in place, gave up on it tonight but should be just able to get a hacksaw blade in through a gap at the side and saw through it pison breakout style failing that its a hole through the chassis to gain access and drill it out.

Also the sellers chum dropped round to try and swap wheels with a pretty worn out set of steel ones, happened to mention that the clutch may be on its way out due to it sometimes slipping setting off quickly.
The question is if the clutch is past its best can it be replaced with the engine in situ ?

PS I am thinking of buying a tent from Argos to put over the landy at the side of the road )
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Before Dave says it,
NFGWOP
(No Good Without Pictures!)
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Zedman

Light as failing

Postby Zedman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Light was failing as I packed up the tools so will post some pics tomorrow.

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:51 pm

................................................................................................................
Last edited by bandiflip on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

Zedman

Powder coating

Postby Zedman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 am

Can anyone recomend someone who can shot blast and powder coat a front winch bumper, the closer to knaresborough/Harrogate the better )

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Re: The fun has just started

Postby nicks90 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:16 am

Zedman wrote:
The question is if the clutch is past its best can it be replaced with the engine in situ ?

if you are doing it on your drive and have access to an engine hoist - and if its a tdi - much easier to whip the engine out.
dropping the gearbox using various jacks and planks of wood is a bit of a faff, especially getting it back in! It heavy and awkward.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Shot blasting is fairly easy, two places on the Boroughbridge road - Addymans and the place with all the old tractors.

Powder coating, not come across anyone local :(

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:58 pm

Spend your money on a new clutch before your make it pretty, is it the one in the previous part of the thread or a bifferent one?

Welcome to the real part of the club. :lol:

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

madcalc
Full Name: david medd

Postby madcalc » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:27 pm

look at my build. Big lift, crap on road, castor correction arms better, other bits better, next to double shocks. add, add and add! Depends on your budget! 8)
If I can't fix it, I bodge it!

Zedman

Its

Postby Zedman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 pm

Its the one mentioned previously I got from the ebay auction, first buy will be new steering rods since existing ones are bent slightly and one of the ball joints is knackered and wont unscrew from the steering rod so ideal time to upgrade to a heavy duty pair.

After that I have been told to change the timing belt since the previous owner has no idea how old the present one is, seems a wise precaution.

Will also need wheels and tyres since its currently on a pair of alloys with spacers, still not decided on what type though.

Other job I can see need doing are, tow bar off since I have no trailer, new rear dics and replace the crappy wheel arches, oil and filter change, ohh and need to get new footwells welded in at some point, preferably before going through any deep water.

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi Richard, for the timing belt, I will suggest that you get the STC4096L set :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0607228858

Bought one to replaced mine and it's a Bearmach set. May be a good practice to change the idler and tensioner at same time as belt. nesides, this set also comes with the updated crank sprocket which keep the timing belt in place.

You may want to consider this too :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-90-110 ... 27b5e2fa36

If you are going to the club event on 28/11....I have a 2nd set of tyres you can use (most likely the Insa extreme 235/85, similar to your Simex's)

Zedman

Thanks

Postby Zedman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:16 am

Thanks for the advice Kinsonlim, parts ordered, will give you a call about the tyres and I might have a few more questions )

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 am

Richard

Give me a shout when you're going to change the timing belt, etc as I need to do mine as part of my re-build and it would be helpful to watch/help someone else do it first.

If you want to bring it up to my place and do the job in the garage instead of in the street, no probs.

Cheers

Mark

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:04 am

If you have garage space I'm sure we could all form an orderly queue, we wont upset the neighbours after 2 am :lol: :lol:

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 am

I've done the belt on my 200tdi and it was fairly easy. But then it is a defender 200tdi, not a disco one which I understand are a bit different, and yours is a 300tdi I think.

I found the attached pdf which covered the belt change on mine, if its any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”