Club Forum

No its not broken its just an ongoing resoration project )

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Cheers

Postby Zedman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice and info, Mark i think I might just take you up on that offer as kingson maybe be coming over to give me a hand on Sunday, still to be confirmed if he is free, but a garage would be far better than working on the side of the street as its bound to be pouring down )

I will try to co-ordinate if you and Kingson have Sunday free )

And that pdf makes the job look a lot less daunting than reading about in the Haynes manual )
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

Zedman

First photos

Postby Zedman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm

First photos, only the winch and bumper for now.

Bumper was only held on with 2 bolts, the winch was held on with NO bolts, the only thing keep it in place was gravity and the 2 live power leads.

Stripped the bumper down for shot blasting and powder coating, spoken to my friend who lives in Harrogate but works in Thorpe arch at a place that has a powder coating oven and asked him to get me a price and also to ask if more jobs would be welcome aka powder coating for the rest of you.

The winch is pretty seized and neglected but probaly hasnt been used much, will be aiming to start on it tomorrow, free spool lever is stuck solid, its a Warn 9.5 Thermo btw.

and thanks for the shot blasting contact btw Dave only 1/2 mile away )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Richard

Sunday would be fine by me. PM me when you have confirmed.

Cheers

Mark

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Richard........just got confirmation from the mrs that there's nothing planned for the coming sunday. So, will be able to make it to yours. However, that is dependant on if the timing kit arrives at yours before the weekend.

Mark......it will only take an hour or 2 to get the timing belt changed. I had advised Richard to get a full kit which includes a new idler pulley, tensioner, gasket and belt (look at an earlier thread I posted). If you have the parts ready, will get yours done at same time. It might be easier for both of us to get to yours and get the belts changed at your garage knowing the weather may be crap.

Zedman

As soon

Postby Zedman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:57 pm

As soon as the parts arrive will let you both know, ordered already and just checked on eBay and despatched has been confirmed so looking good.

Zedman

cam belt kit

Postby Zedman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 pm

The cam belt kit arrived today, so everything looks good, kingson the instructions specify a torque wrench for tensioning, I only have a cheap break type do you have one you can bring with you, and if possibe a 10 mm Tap, have some threads on the bumper that badley need chasing out.

As a foot note the winch is in a sorry state but no broken gears, the cable whilst having no frays etc was very badly wound and has the odd kink, all the rest has had water in every part but looks salvageable, the worst bit seems to be where the drum enters the motor bearin, any good contacts for Warn parts in tthe UK ?

And since we all love pics )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:59 pm

I might well have a spare motor that will fit that...

I also have an M10 Tap

If you can find a way of putting the clamp bolt on the end I have a nearly new Warn wire rope in the back garden too :)

Zedman

Cheers Dave

Postby Zedman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:15 pm

I will drop over one night to take you up on the offer of the tap, will bring the bumper and do it on the spot only 4 holes to sort will take but a moment, re the rest, I will spend some time on cleaning it all up, hopefully the motor might just be ok, will fetch the parts over at the same time once they are cleaned up for a second opinion)

NB I will call first )

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Richard, I have a torque wrench with the pointer type of indicator which I needed for my timing belt tensioning. If you need to borrow it, you are welcome to but you'll have to drop by here (Harrogate) to pick it up as my 90 isn't going anywhere for a while. :cry:

Zedman

Perfect

Postby Zedman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Perfect, if Kingson hasnt got one he can fetch up I will pop round one night on the way home, your offer is very much appreciated )

varleym

Postby varleym » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Richard

I've got a torque wrench here so no probs.

Cheers

Mark

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm

yeah...have got a 1/2" size torque wrench to tighthen up the crank pulley bolt. Will bring that along. Will also bring all associated tools needed for the timing belt job.

I've also recently serviced my other winch. There were oxidation everywhere due to water ingress. I cleaned away all the residual grease, then use wire wool to 'smoothen' the 'infected' area, added silicone sealant and lots of new bearing grease before packing it back together. It's currently sitting on the garage floor awaiting to be fitted to the rear of my disco.

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Richard & Mark,

It appears that the earliest i can make it to your side this sunday is 2pm. There will still be sufficient time to do 2 timing belts + the occasional tea.....if that is okay, Mark, can I have your address and contact number (through pm).

varleym

Postby varleym » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:03 pm

No worries Kingson. I've not got a kit for my engine yet anyway so it'll just be Richards we're working on. I'll PM you my address.

Cheers

Mark

Zedman

Sounds good to me

Postby Zedman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Sounds good to me, I will be free all day, and the kit has arrived so all looks good )

Return to “Member's Vehicles”