Club Forum

No its not broken its just an ongoing resoration project )

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

more pics

Postby Zedman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:51 pm

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:21 pm

from the photos of where the belt sits....you are safe......so it seems it's a one off issue that only my disco suffered......was really confident I did a good job, until my timing belt snapped.......(Matthew might want to bring out the occasion where I mixed up the fuel banjo bolt on the injection pump, leading to the disco not wanting to rev..hehe)

Zedman

Fuel primer

Postby Zedman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:13 pm

I changed the fuel filter today, but when I came to prime it the lever just wouldn't pump ( I tried the engine in numerous positions ) still nothing.

So I cheated, took the bolt out of the top and just poured diesel in, seemed to work fine, any ideas what I was doing wrong or is the fuel pump broken ?

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 am

I had this problem on an earlier 90 (may have been the 110 but that doesnt matter for this story), I had AA home start at the time so gave them a call. Patrol man cracked the thread on injector no one and turned the engine on the key until fuel came out of the injector. Job done (apparently)

Cheers NIck
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Zedman

New Kitchen

Postby Zedman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Wife came home from work this afternoon to find me scrubbing the rear hubs that the discs bolt onto in our kitchen sink, she remarked "if we get a new kitchen you wont be able to do that anymore"

Her chances of a new kitchen just went from slim to 'if we win the lottery' but I tactfully said if we get a new kitchen I can have the old sink in my garage )

Zedman

Disc brake problem

Postby Zedman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:05 pm

There seems to be a problem with the rear dics on my Defender, firstly the old pads dont seem to align with the disc surface ie the outer edge does not run agains the disc leaving an unworn ridge, also the new pads I ordered with the new disk are a completely different design.

The photo below shows all the parts in question and if it helps the old disc was 289mm dia, the nw disc 290mm dia near as dammit the same.

Any ideas which part is incorrect ?

EDIT POST, I checked on google and it seems the caliper is off a Range Rover Classic, and the pads are slightly deeper than the defender ones, hence the unworn ridge
So this leaves me 2 options, either buy the correct calipers, or buy some range rover pads and return the incorrect pads for a refund.
I suspect I will need to grind a bit off the outer edge of the range rover pads to avoide a shoulder and also will need new pistons and seal kit.

Seams a no brainer going for the correct caliper for a few extra quid, but I would like to get it off the axle stands on the street outside my house ASAP as the potential for an accident makes me very nervous, whats the closest place to Harrogate for a new caliper at sensible prices pls ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:53 pm

I think that calliper is off a 110, part number for the 110 pads would be STC1601 which has superseded to SPF000280. You're probably best collecting the pads yourself rather than ordering online though just in case :)

The new pads you have are the "normal" rear brake type for a 90. The callipers are kind of correct given that they are rear callipers and the pads are correct in that they'll fit just about everything else :)

It's difficult to know which is the best to replace, i guess if the callipers are OK then you may as well stick with them for now.

Land Rover pads do have a tendency to run off the edge of the disk leaving a 1-2mm ridge around the edge. Don't worry about it. the disks are the same part number regardless.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: Disc brake problem

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Zedman wrote: and also will need new pistons and seal kit.

If you need a seal kit and pistons then I would strongly advise going for the new callipers - from personal experience my opinion is that replacing the seals (or more correctly the seal-retainers) is just not worth the effort.

Zedman

Thanks Dave and Roger

Postby Zedman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks Dave and Roger, seems I came across an earlier YORC post about getting the difficulty of getting the outer seals in while looking on google )

At least I know both options are viable so I will be making calls in the morning seeing what is available close by, I was already intending heading over to Machine mart in Leeds for a welder anyway, otherwise its a next day courier and fit em Tuesday )

Might even end up taking a spin over to Maddisons )

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:49 pm

I put two standard rear callipers in the skip this afternoon if you want a temporary replacement. Nothing wrong with them when they were taken off but one or both of them was missing the metal "dust cover" things.

I skipped them on the grounds that I'd just buy new rather than rebuild another pair of callipers.

Best source of LR parts in our area is Maddison4x4, they have most common items in stock and can get you anything that's not in stock. Patrick, the owner, is also a club member.

Zedman

Dont suppose you are at home tommorow am Dave ?

Postby Zedman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Dont suppose you are at home tomorow am Dave ?

I have new pads for those and the old seals from 2 calipers that might just be the same size )

I might also want a look through your skip for other goodies )

Zedman

2 legged horse (

Postby Zedman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:51 pm

2 legged horse (

For some reason I dont trust the axle stands and always put the jack under as a back up ...

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:56 pm

hope you sort out the rear brakes soon....and come playing with me this weekend......failing that, there's always an extra seat in my disco....:)

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: 2 legged horse (

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Zedman wrote:2 legged horse (

For some reason I dont trust the axle stands and always put the jack under as a back up ...

You might the jack nicked doing that mate... perhaps if you wrap it up in a bin liner or something - it looks very shiny...

Zedman

I Know what you mean

Postby Zedman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:31 pm

I Know what you mean but its Harorgate, generaly they only nick high end Porshes, mercs and BM's

I wansnt being funny but thats how its seems round here and yes thee been about 30 high end cars nicked in the last month, and yes now I'm paranoid and there will be a bin liner round the jack in the next few mins, thanks for the tip )

Return to “Member's Vehicles”