Club Forum

No its not broken its just an ongoing resoration project )

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Re: Thanks

Postby Bo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Zedman wrote:If anyone at the next event that can let me have a ride in their Landy it would be apperciated just so I can get a feel, no sections or anything just a spin round the woods would be fine, and welcome to try out my Jeep )))

I'll be setting out at Brotherton the sequel, so you can use my disco for the trial, if you want to see what you think of them.
One big advantage of the Landrover family is that most of the oily bits are interchangeable, so if you do find you have made the wrong choice, you don't have to buy the bits again, just swap them over.
The one thing to watch out for with Disco's and RRC's is tin worm as there is more steel in them than a Defender but I am sure whatever you chose, Landrover or not someone will be willing to give it a look over for you.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:42 pm

As a little suggestion Andy Summers 110 (takes a bit of getting used to the size but is competitive if driven right) is a real bargain as he wants £1600 for it I think. Put a sheep pen on the back and they make a superb flexible vehicle thats very difficult to turn over compared to a 90 (ask me I know !)
Matthew

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Hi

Postby Zedman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Mathew, I saw it in action (LWB in camo colours ?)
Seemed very capable but its sort of the oposite of what I'm after, wanted small and nimble and a good turning circle, the 90's I have seen look more the part, you know what its like if you dont fall in love with the look of the car the rest is a struggle.
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 am

For 6k you may find an older 90 with a galv chassis (see mine or Pam's jeep)solving part of the rust problems, drive it standard with a set of tyres, job done. No brainer.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:00 am

why a 90?
no way i'd buy another, its just too bloody impractical.
Ergonomics? I dont think they had ever heard of that word when they designed the 90.
overpriced, definitely.
As a practical vehicle the disco gets a big thumbs up, but they are quite flawed in the fact they rust to nothing and have an enormous fat arse to drag around offroad and you have to do plenty of cutting to get proper sized tyres on.

what about finding a nissan patrol swb? Bit bigger than a 90, bit smaller than a disco. Immensly strong, proper seats front and rear, has a proper boot, can fit 33" rubber with no mods at all. Turning circle is simillar to a 90 as well. Not quite as plush as a disco inside, but lightyears ahead of a 90 to drive about day to day.
Other option is the toyota landcruiser. £6k will get a nice swb cruiser with the 3.0td. Same as the patrol, bit more civilised to live with and are proper offroaders like a landy.

only problem with both the nissan and yota is parts are more expensive (but they shouldnt break as often, so maybe equals out overall) and there isnt the knowledge in the club about them. But t'interweb sorts that out as oz / new zealand etc are predominantly yota and nissan users for offroading.

nick

has a quick look on ebay
nice cruiser
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Richard....how about staying with the Jeep brand, but go a little upmarket...I used to have a few XJ Cherokee...the 2.5 petrol is thirsty as they are underpowered and was revving hard to get going...but the 4.0 are bullet proof. Only downside with a Cherokee is the rear springs being leaf. However, the Grand Cherokee are becoming very cheap now, and they are coils all round. By fitting longer travel springs and shocks, they are okay with 33" tyres, have good turning circles, good articulation, and definitely more comfortable. They are slightly bigger than a 90 but smaller than a Discovery. Definitely worth a go in my opinion.

Bo

Postby Bo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:07 pm

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:11 pm

What do you mean Bo.....It gave a pretty solid thump on its roof and then was steady as a rock !!
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 pm

somehow knew this was coming....doh...!!!

Bo

Postby Bo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Seems Jeepa ARE rather prone to minor tumbles

Postby Zedman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Seems Jeepa ARE rather prone to minor tumbles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-4w1ljd ... re=related

Towards the end they actualy belive they can actualy make it )
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner

If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

Bo

Postby Bo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 pm

That two gate looks a bit tough!

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm

There seems to be a number of people complaining about problems with the 90 and suggesting different vehicles, if these Japanese alternatives are so bloody good then why are we all driving (apart from Alex)Green Oval machines , start raving about the Jap stuff after you've lived with one for a while not whilst driving one of those lousy 90's .
I for one have to agree with Mr Adam's last comment (unusually he's talking total sense ).
Matthew

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:52 pm

From Page 1 of this thread

nicks90 wrote:£6k will get a nice td5 90 with some change for a set of 33" tyres - ready out of the box for trialling. Plus the td5 with a remap is a really fun vehicle to drive with ooodles of power. I know its a disco and not a 90, but our disco2 td5 has been remapped and it will go faster than the father-outlaws disco2 v8 auto :twisted:
I have to keep looking at the speedo when i tow the caravan, as i just dont know its there most of the time and i look down and see i'm doing 75-80!
Plus there are td5 90's out there with traction control 8) lots of power, centre diff lock and t/c will give you ALOT of traction without falling foul of the club rule on no aftermarket lockers.
Nick

Which, frankly, surprised me a little!

From Page 2 of this thread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:00 am Post subject:
why a 90?
no way i'd buy another, its just too bloody impractical.
Ergonomics? I dont think they had ever heard of that word when they designed the 90.
overpriced, definitely.
As a practical vehicle the disco gets a big thumbs up, but they are quite flawed in the fact they rust to nothing and have an enormous fat arse to drag around offroad and you have to do plenty of cutting to get proper sized tyres on.

Now that sounds more like Nick C!

I guess the posts reflect the Love/Hate relationships one has with one's Land Rovers...

Bit confusing though for Richard - same person, two opposing recommendations!

:D
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:11 pm

nicks90 wrote:why a 90?
what about finding a nissan patrol swb? Bit bigger than a 90, bit smaller than a disco. Immensly strong, proper seats front and rear, has a proper boot, can fit 33" rubber with no mods at all. Turning circle is simillar to a 90 as well. Not quite as plush as a disco inside, but lightyears ahead of a 90 to drive about day to day.

only problem with both the nissan and yota is parts are more expensive (but they shouldnt break as often, so maybe equals out overall) and there isnt the knowledge in the club about them. But t'interweb sorts that out as oz / new zealand etc are predominantly yota and nissan users for offroading.

nick

I used to work for a company that had a Nissan Patrol. Complete and utter rust box. This is the UK, not Australia. We have damp, wet, warm conditions. There is a big difference. The Patrol was mega uncomfortable, seats abysmal (worse than basic defender ones). It spent most of its life in the corner of the yard, waiting for the cash flow to come it to get it through the next repair or MOT..... everyone HATED it!

I turned up to work in my Defender and everyone cooed over it, like kids in a sweetie shop!

The other 4x4 they had was a Nissan Terrano. Nicer, more modern design, but again, very unreliable. Clutch was worse than a Series Landy. Not much room in the boot, so we had to use it as a 2 seater a lot of the time.

Best car they had was a Corsa Van. (They didn't have a Land Rover).

:twisted: :roll: :wink:
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

Return to “Member's Vehicles”