Club Forum

NEVER poke under a disco.

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

NEVER poke under a disco.

Postby nicks90 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 pm

never ever poke underneath a discovery if you see a flaky bit of dry waxoil
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

day started lovely!
Went to dewsbury4x4 who put some heat on the front calliper bolts that were totally stuck in preventing me from doing that wheel bearing. Both came out fine with a bit of oxy.
Got back home and changed the wheel bearing, in double quick time, Result! :wink:
Sorted out the stretched handbrake cable as well, another job off the list. 8)
Found a wire hanging free next to the tranbox while i was there, bolt had worked loose. Popped it back in and my rear wiper started working again! 8)

Feeling all flushed with success i pull the disco2 onto the drive and have a look under the back end thats making a squeek on speed bumps. What do i see?
Well, a big flake of old waxoil by the back left bumpstop. I cannot resist having a pick :cry:

HOLY CHASSIS BATMAN!
yup, even after 20 years landrover still cant make a disco chassis that doesnt rust in the same places. So i decide to have a proper look and find loads of old scabby waxoil.
After 2 hours with a screwdriver and a wire brush i have found a hole next to the bumpstops, what could potentially be a massive hole on the inside of hte chassis rail next to the fuel tank (can see a small hole at the bottom, but the rest is BIG scabs i cant get off without dropping the tank) and about a dozen areas the size of my hand that had scabbed.
Luckily i have a can of proper red lead paint, so a good scrub with the wire brush and that got slapped on all the bits that needed it and then a quick blow over with some green top coat paint to seal it all in,. I'll drop the tank and sort that (possibly massive) hole and the bumpstop hole in spring...

just dont go under your disco. It aint worth it. :evil:

Nick

(i bet landcruisers dont rust) :wink:
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:38 pm

I've seen a couple with all the seams on the chassis cracking up around the tank area, just cause it's a Disco 2 doesn't mean you don't have a really good prod when you buy it (best bet is to buy one off a customer you've looked after for a couple of years n then you'll know the gremlins that'll crop up in the near future).
Matthew

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:49 pm

s'ok matthew - we bought it with what we thought as good provenance, looked after all its life by 4plus4 in leeds with full history from new by them and 3x waxoil applications.

what a joke they are, i shant bore you with the sordid details - but lets just say that having 4plus4 look after a vehicle means its a crap-heap full of faults from the moment you buy it and they arent interested in honouring any sort of warranty.
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:24 pm

They do you a good price on bits IMHO.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Postby Graeme C. » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Bought my 90 from Four Plus and have had no reason to regret it.

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:35 am

dont get me wrong, i'm sure there are plenty of satisfied customers of 4+4 from days gone by,

but based on my experience with the disco - and what my friendly MOT bloke who left 4+4 some time ago said [*] - i certainly wont be going back there.

[*] common practice was to..........edited to remove possibly libelous content and potentially upset people.............

however the state of the oils in the axles less than 6 months after the previous owner paid a fortune for a full major service backs this up. It was like black treacle, tranny box oil was just as bad and very low level, gearbox oil was horrible. The last receipt showed he was charged for EP90, ATF etc as part of the major service and also a full set of new brake pads. However within 2 months the rear pads were against the metal and ruined the back disks, quick trip to matthew for gear oil and new brakes all round sorted that. Amazing how that happened within months of paying alot of £££ for a major service and all this was missed in their "150 point sales check" before releasing the vehicle to me.
Also the 4 times i asked them to look at faults within the warranty period were rejected and told to piss off. One fault was a major transmission whine at motorway speeds. Brian had the cheek to tell me "they all do that" and would not entertain even booking it in to look at it. When i finally got it rectified at my local landy place, he refused to even negotiate for the cost of the repair work. Shocking.

Obviously this is just my experience and one ex-mechanics say-so, and i am sure this is not true of all peoples experiences.
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

leeds
Full Name: Brendan

Postby leeds » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Have used Four plus 4 for a number of years and the D2 was bought from them. The D2 has had a reasonably hard life with us and has been fine.

They have prepped our 110 for some long trips and I have had no complaints about their work. Andy has made customerised parts for my 110, i.e. rear winch, light bar etc. Rob there is a good mechanic. Tony in the stores knows his stuff. Brian has always been helpful to me and has supplied info/part numbers when I have been abroad. They have loaned me their car transporter/trailer and spares kit whilst I have been on my trips

So I am a happy customer of 4 + 4

Brendan

Return to “Member's Vehicles”