Club Forum

At last!

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
GazT
Full Name: Gary Taylor

At last!

Postby GazT » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi all!
Don't know if this picture will come out. Basically, I scoured the autotrader web site for 4 months while I saved up the last of the money I needed to try and buy a semi decent one which I purchased a month ago. My surface ceiling for this purchase was £5000 but that left me little to play with in terms of trying to get it to a semi-decent standard.
Eventually I bought a 1994 200TDi 90 with 59000 genuine mileage (all mot's supplied). However, it was a farm vehicle and christ did I know it when I got it home for a clean.
I have a lot of plans for this Landy but nothing too extreme as it will also be my daily drive. Firstly, a right good service changing every fluid, belt and other consumable. So far I have fitted a K&N, safari snorkel, removed a huge bullbar, new spare wheel and tyre to match the others, new belts, fixed most of the electrical jobs, removed the middle seat and fitted a cubby box, hi-lift jack, gaskets here and there and numerous other bits and baps. Also mounted a storage chest in the back but hoping a friend is going to make the one I have in mind. Need two fold up seats and belts for the back too as well as needing new headlights, although on a clear night I can see up to 10 metres in front. Have ordered and had delivered wheel spacers (Tyres are BFG MT 265-75-16's), graphics, silencer replacement pipe and Kenlowe fan. These will be fitted in 18 days when I get back. Timing belt will be done when the fan is fitted.
Eventually, when I have saved up some more money, a 2" lift (including arms, brake lines and panhard rod) and lastly a winch & bumper with new battery. Not sure about split charging two batteries yet but will see. This is obviously not all going to happen in the first five minutes but will happen.

Right, time for a breath now as I've no more to tell yet.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers,

Gaz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Success is the ability to move from one failure to another without any loss of enthusiasm.
Enthusiasm kindly donated by 200TDi 90 & Honda Fireblade RR!

sara
Full Name: Sara Clayton

Postby sara » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi Gaz,
Just thought i'd mention - wheel spacers - if you are intending to trial with the club then i wouldn't bother fitting them - they're not allowed under MSA rules (i think) and it will just save you having to take them off at an event!!!

Hope to see you about

Sara

(edit - ok should have read the other new posts before i replied to this - have a look at the post in the technical bit about spacers etc - they beat me to it!! - bloody husband!!)

GazT

Postby GazT » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:08 am

Hi Sara,
Thanks a lot for letting me know. I did read that post by hubby and if/when I do start trialling I will take them off. At the moment the tyres slightly touch the front radius arms on full lock. I will need to get some more experience before I start trialling so they should be fine for green laning etc for now.

Hope to see you both,

Cheers,

Gaz.
Success is the ability to move from one failure to another without any loss of enthusiasm.

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:19 am

Hi Gaz,

Don't worry about getting more off-road driving experience before trialling. Trialling is actually one of the best ways to learn about off-road driving in a reasonably controlled and safe environment. If you stick to the easiest green lanes you won't learn very much and if you go out on the more challenging ones there is a risk you could get into a difficult situation without the experience and skills/equipment to get out of it safely and with least damage to the terrain.

Not only that at our trials We have purposely kept away from league tables and trophies so that there is less pressure and more fun ! Of course there are always friendly rivalries between members but everyone sets their own personal challenge for how well they want to do or who they want to beat so although there will always be someone who is "1st" on the day, many of the competitors go home feeling they have had a good day, just by doing better than last time or whatever....

There are always people to give advice and we can arrange for an experienced driver to sit in with you if you want a bit more guidance when on the move. If there are any sections you aren't happy doing at your experience level then you don't have to do them .... no-one will think any the less of you - we all had to start somewhere and know it takes time to build up confidence in your own capabilities and that of your vehicle !

If you are still not sure, come along to a trial as a spectator or volunteer to marshal and you will get a better idea of how things work before taking the plunge yourself.

Cheers,
Pam
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

GazT

Postby GazT » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:48 am

Hi Pam,
Thankyou very much for that post...very reassuring.
I have done a lot of driving offroad (16 years driving landrovers for the Army) however, this has always been done with route selection in mind. It doesn't pay to try to be too bold when you are on your own in the middle of no-where at night with a task to complete. Therefore, it will be nice to be able to tackle some challenges knowing that there is help and advice readily to hand. I am very much looking forward to it all.

Looking forward to meeting you and Dave , hopefully May 28th club night.

Cheers,

Gaz.

sara
Full Name: Sara Clayton

Postby sara » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:31 pm

this has always been done with route selection in mind. It doesn't pay to try to be too bold when you are on your own in the middle of no-where at night with a task to complete.

thats what trialling is all about - taking the right line to get through the gates without getting lost or stuck!

I'm sure my husband would let you sit in with him on a trial in the near future. Probably the trial after robin hoods bay........
as he needs a co driver now i have a little one to look after (and he NEEDS a codriver as he gets lost within 10 yards of the start line)

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Postby Graeme C. » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi Gaz,
Looking at the wheels you have on your motor, you don't really need spacers with 265/75s on, I ran my 90 on the same wheel & tyre setup without any problem.
The tyres just touching the hockey stick on full lock is just right for trialling. I don't like the idea of spacers for all sorts of reasons, but if you want more lock go for wheels with more offset, but that can put more strain on your wheel bearings, steering etc.
The wheels & tyres you have on will be just fine though, a lot of club members use them on 90s. :)

GazT

Postby GazT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Thanks Sara,
Might just take up the offer of co-driver till I see what it's all about.

Hi Graeme,
Have already bought the spacers so I'll have to try them now. Just didn't like the idea of tyres touching radius.
Thanks for letting me know that it is a common size for the 90. Can't wait to see how useless I'll be but as long as I get the chance to laugh then I'm happy.

Cheers,

Gaz.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:49 am

GazT wrote:....
Have already bought the spacers so I'll have to try them now. Just didn't like the idea of tyres touching radius

How about screwing the lock-stops out a little?

It's a nice looking truck Gaz, and I look forward to seeing it in action. As a newbie to the club myself I can vouch for the friendly and helpful attitude of the old hands - you made a good choice coming here :)

Rog

GazT

Postby GazT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:25 am

Hi Rog,
Thought about the stop locks so promptly sheared one off! :(
Didn't really want to reduce my turning circle any more. It's like the QE2 now!

I agree, everyone does seem very helpful and friendly...Happy days. :D

Cheers,

Gaz.

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Wed May 16, 2007 8:54 am

Gaz, just turn up and give it a go, when I started I had no off road experience and a standard motor, the club will give so much advice on the day you cant go wrong (much). I'm still rubbish but at least I'm still having fun :)

Cheers Nick

Return to “Member's Vehicles”