Club Forum

Well I tried to be normal, but.... I'm back ;)

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Well I tried to be normal, but.... I'm back ;)

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:10 am

After I came to Jolly Jockland, I ran the RRC pickup for a few years as a second vehicle, but eventually, the rising insurance, tax and fuel costs (not to mention the non-availability of LPG) and a looming MoT failure due to corrosion, made me hang up my hat and SORN it.

After it sat under a tarp for a year I finally decided that getting it back on the road was not going to happen (I was on some heart meds at the time which made me feel tired all the time) and so I sold it to an enthusiastic young man who promised me he wouldn't break it but would bring it back into daily use. He even said he would retain it's patina :D (although the rubber chicken would go)

Scroll forwards six months and:
1. I have come off the meds (the doc doesn't know yet - it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission eh?) and suddenly I feel ten years younger.
2. I have inherited a Disco TD5 from my brother-in-law, who died suddenly a couple of months ago.

The disco is a 53 reg, of 'ES' type with (I think) the 'premium' package (it appears to have a diff-lock, fat roof bars, heated screen and shiny side things) and, as a bonus, it came with a SORN, no MoT, slipping auto trans, and The Three Amigos.. Oh, and it is currently located 320 miles away. I am going to arrange for it to be transported here (cost about £450) and see if I can sort the problems, after which I may be tempted to do some 'mild' off-roading style mods. First to go will be those side step things!

On the positive side there is not too much corrosion, the engine appears to be good, it has a newish steering box and battery and the interior (black leather heated seats) is in decent nick except for the headlining.

So - what do you reckon?:
Is the Disco 2 an ok base for a mild off-road vehicle?
If I were to try some gentle trialing, would the combination of diff-lock and TC be considered cheating?

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Re: Well I tried to be normal, but.... I'm back ;)

Postby davew » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:06 am

Welcome back ! :)

Disco 2 is a good option, especially a TD5 Auto. The longer overhang at the back can be a bit of a liability and, having seen what Brendan did to his, rerouting the exhaust at the back is probably a priority !

I think there are a couple of Disco 2s in the pipeline already for club trials if they ever get finished, Bo is working on one.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 am

Dave, I know you and Matthew (and others) run autos by choice, so (without wasting too much time) I was wondering why you said 'especially a TD5 auto'

I have had a look around locally and it appears that there is a fairly active club that often has trials within 10 miles of me, but they have rather more radical vehicles competing than I am used to - and I would not want to go that far myself... The Disco has to remain daily usable :) Still - I am looking forward to getting back into the scene (IF I don't scrap this disco...) There is an event on this Sunday but I am out on the hill, and anyway, it sounds like I wouldn't even get into the car park in my Skoda :D

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Don't scrap it , if it's corrosion free I may well be interested even with knackered gearbox

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am

OK Matthew - I'll let you know how I get on

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:53 pm

It should be here sometime late tonight. I've got tomorrow off to make a start... :D

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:45 pm

I love the look of this - http://www.discovery2.co.uk/NAS_hitch.html - pity it's not type approved...

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm

That would only be a problem if you were towing with it, it's a recovery point not a tow bar so therefore doesn't need type approval.

That said, if you were to tow with it, do you think anyone would know (or care) that it wasn't type approved ?

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 am

davew wrote:That said, if you were to tow with it, do you think anyone would know (or care) that it wasn't type approved ?

I guess it's always a concern that some eagle eyed insurance assessor notices it and tries to wriggle out of coughing up... Although I am perfectly happy that it is a safe arrangement and that in no way could it contribute to an accident any more than a normal ball could...

Return to “Member's Vehicles”