Club Forum

Roger's RRC: An update

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:03 am

Last night I tried to sort out the radio - it's toast. Checked the wires too and three of them are high-res so it looks like that will be a console-out job. Doesn't matter for now since I have no carpets or trim and I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. I can't afford a new radio so will not be wasting any more time on it.

Did a ten mile speed session too. No leaks yet (except the crank seal) but when I checked they hubs I noticed something strange, the first three hubs were... Well they were not hot but more than warm if you know what I mean - nothing to worry about I thought. The fourth one though, (front NS) was distinctly cooler. Now I don't know what to think - are three of them adjusted wrong? Or is it just the other front one that I adjusted wrong and the back (which I haven't touched) two were in need of adjustment anyway? Hmmm...

Going to get the tracking done today - I had another go at it last night but I am not convinced that I am getting it right. The steering is better now than it was but is still not as good as the Disco was..

I also found a disbenefit of the side exit exhaust: When I have the window open the fumes are sucked in through the crappy tailgate seals :( I think I need a 'fume curtain' like the old Series 1..

I have checked all of the gas connections with soapy stuff and there are no leaks that I can see so I will leave the cert for now - as you can imagine this month, having taxed and insured two vehicles I am a little strapped for cash! Also the insurance (£130 TPFT :D ) haven't (yet) asked for an LPG certificate..

Off to get the tracking done now

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:06 am

Changed my mind - they want £30 for tracking! I'll have another go myself..

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 pm

New problem tonight: The clutch, which has been perfect until now has (four times on the way home) suddenly gone baggy like it needs bleeding big-time. Once pumped up it works fine for a minute or two...
I am thinking master-cylinder but I have never experienced anything like this. Anybody know this symptom and the probable cause? Since I have a spare clutch master-cylinder I will change that anyway and see what happens.

I am really enjoying driving it around - it's very 'agricultural' with it's whining transmission and howling tyres, and it looks (well IS actually) a wreck, but it's great fun and once more I feel proud of what I am driving :D

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 am

TwoSheds wrote:
nicks90 wrote:<..> got a gunsens gas wotsit autotune in there too somewhere, not that i need it, as i havent run a petrol motor since my old mini........

I have an old colortune too - great bit of kit if you run carbs - there's not much I can do about mixture on the EFI though ;)
Roger

[humble pie] Of course what I completely forgot is the need to set up the LPG! I seem to have got it pretty close by guess and feel, and one day I will be creating/fitting my mixture sensor, but for the moment*, could I possibly borrow your gunsens gas wotsit autotune before the weekend? [/humble pie]

Cheers
Roger

*I can't find my Colortune and new ones are over £30! Apparently Gunsen was taken over recently by Sparkrite and all prices nearly doubled overnight. :x

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:17 am

of course you can,
pop round this evening if you want and pick it up.

wf5 0db number 58.

just give me a buzz onm 07900 417476 when you're on your way and i'll put the kettle on.

just noticed your post - 4.30AM !!!!!! do you not sleep?
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Just off home and then walk the dog etc so will probably call you at about 18:30 before setting off and arriving at about 19:00.

I think it was 5:30 - perhaps the forum on GMT?

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:10 am

did that gas wotsit work?

if so, super. If not, blame hadyn as its his.

also, if anyone else wants to borrow it and give their silly V8 a quick tune up - it'll be at the trial on sunday if Roger remembers to bring it along.
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:33 am

nicks90 wrote:did that gas wotsit work?

also, if anyone else wants to borrow it and give their silly V8 a quick tune up - it'll be at the trial on sunday if Roger remembers to bring it along.

Downloaded the instructions and it's no wonder it wasn't used much- it took 1/2 an hour to read it all!

I am going to give it a shot on Saturday, but I think it needs doing because - in spite of apparently running well on gas, it is only doing about 2 miles per litre at the moment :shock:

I'll bring it along on Sunday.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:37 am

I thought you had a lambda sensor ?

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:41 am

davew wrote:I thought you had a lambda sensor ?

got one, but not wired up or plumbed in yet..

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:06 am

Aahh of course - wire it up ans stick it up the pipe!

I keep telling people I am going senile and they think I am joking...

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am

nicks90 wrote:did that gas wotsit work?

I also have a colour tune purchased in early seventies complete in box with instructions
also have a timing light if anyone wants to make an offer for them or swap??
will also bring sunday
Dave

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

TwoSheds wrote:Aahh of course - wire it up ans stick it up the pipe!

I keep telling people I am going senile and they think I am joking...

Ideally you want it mounted as far possible as you can, on a V8 the usual place is just after the 4 header pipes all come together (assuming tubular). the temperature tends to be more stable there. It's one of those jobs that normally takes a couple of hours, 1 hour 50 minutes taking the exhaust apart and putting it back together, 10 minutes welding on a boss and fitting the lambda.

If you have a heated lambda then the heater will need wiring up, stick a multimeter on the output and tune it to 0.5 volts, job done :)

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:19 am

I have a heated one, so I just wired everything up and stuck it up it's chuff - registering rich all the way to start with, no real idea what the two controls do, but I appear to have got it so it occasionally goes lean and on the road-test it's a LOT faster :) Actually it's faster on gas than petrol at the moment so it shows how bad my petrol map is - think I'll have to try your map again now that I have the rich running problem sorted.

Off to proper work now so no more play until tonight :(

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:40 pm

If your there on Sunday I can usually set the gas pretty well by ear so I can have a tweek if you want (it's usually within .5% of the 2% recommended setting).
Matthew

Return to “Member's Vehicles”