Club Forum

Roger's RRC: An update

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Roger,
When you have to do the other side, use a sharp wood chisel or similar to cut away the old bottom rubber, then cut through the spacer and bolt just above the lower washer with a junior hacksaw. It should just fall apart once you do this.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Bo wrote:Roger,
When you have to do the other side, use a sharp wood chisel or similar to cut away the old bottom rubber, then cut through the spacer and bolt just above the lower washer with a junior hacksaw. It should just fall apart once you do this.

Good point - I think I had got 'target fixation' - at the start I had it in my mind to get the bolt out without damaging the spacers and everything followed from that - but I think it would have been a lot more efficient to just trash that one and replace it!
I don't think that the other side will be a problem - they are already free... :)

Roger

TwoSheds

That D'OH moment!

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Finally got the chassis to drop today - by releasing the FRONT anchor points (ties) that are inside the chassis rails parallel to the rearmost of the front seat mountings. D'OH! I never knew they existed! I had already removed the rear seatbelt ties and I thought they were all there were! Worrra TWONK! Still, at least once I had found them they came off easily enough :)

So - I managed to get the body high enough to get the bolt out and have a proper look at the rusty mounting. It looks like a relatively straight forward job so I am hoping to get it done soon:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TwoSheds

Re: That D'OH moment!

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 pm

I'll be glad when I can get back on this - just spent two hours lying on my back in the snow replacing BMW brake pipes. Can nobody build a brake system which doesn't corrode?

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:59 pm

At least your ABS unit is ok , had to replace one on a customers otherwise mint low mile 3 series compact a couple of years ago for MOT (abs light on diagnostic read showed pump/modulator fault ) and they cost £1300 !!! only available from BMW.
Matthew

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 am

Matthews wrote:£1300 !!!
Matthew

And don't forget fitting! How about £43 for a thermostat? :shock:

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Well, at last I finished the brakes so hopefully that's the end of working on the BMW for a while (assuming it passes it's retest on Tuesday) and I will be back onto the RRC next week :)

I have the bulkhead mount in place now and the drivers footwell patched and re-enforced so all thats needed on the mounting is some strengthening webs and then I can rebuild the inner wing and I'm done with the welding.

Then all I have to do is install and commission the engine - how hard can that be eh? ;)

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Today - in spite of the mother of all hangovers which wiped out the morning - I managed to get the engine in place. It all went quite smoothly thanks to Dave's lift and balance bar, and the clutch centring tool which was too expensive for what it is, but certainly worked :)

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Clutch centerng tool ?

Postby Zedman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Clutch centerng tool, i know this will make you all cringe but while i was learing to drive had to replace clutch plates on a LWB landy, just sharpened an old broom handle to the right approx dimensions for a centering tool )
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:40 pm

When Matthew put the engine in my 110 he just used a 1/2" drive extension bar and half a reel of insulating tape to make one. It worked a treat.

Paul

TwoSheds

By the twitching of my thumbs...

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 pm

By the twitching of my thumbs,
Something EVIL this way comes:

TwoSheds

Re: By the twitching of my thumbs...

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Wahey! She runs! :)

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Well done :)

Does that mean I can have my engine hoist back so I can finally move the spare engine and gearbox out of the way ? :)

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:09 pm

and does that mean we wont have to read page 237 about it???...hehe !! :twisted:
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:53 pm

davew wrote:Well done :)

Does that mean I can have my engine hoist back so I can finally move the spare engine and gearbox out of the way ? :)

You could have had it any time Dave - I thought that when you were ready you would ask... Would you like me to bring it one night this week (not Friday) or would Saturday morning do?

bandiflip wrote:and does that mean we wont have to read page 237 about it???...hehe !! :twisted:
Oh- there is a long way to go yet... :D

Return to “Member's Vehicles”