Club Forum

Roger's RRC: An update

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:55 pm

I'll be joining you soon....should be paying for my classic tomorro !
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Right: So after realising that the timing was 100deg retarded (like the fitter perhaps?) and that I also had the wiring for the two coil-packs reversed... She fired up like a goodun, but at that stage with no oil, water or ATF in the steering, so I only ran it for a second or two...

Later - after buying all sorts of fluids and doing a bit more pipework, I was in a position to see if it makes oil pressure. By this stage I had also realised that I have no exhaust pipe-to-manifold gaskets, so I was running with just the manifolds.

So I started it.

The NOISE is awesome! Like four Harleys on open pipes :) After a few seconds the ECU started to bring the revs down and the oil light went out and she settled into a lovely tickover (slightly fast due to being cold) Without the pipes I could really hear the individual exhaust pulses and can tell it's firing evenly on all eight :) :) :) So far it seems like a good engine. I should be able to get some gaskets tomorrow I hope, and then put the exhaust on so that I can see if it moves and let it run a little longer too - 30 seconds on open manifolds today brought black looks from my neighbour...

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:11 pm

You got gas on ures Roger ?
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:13 pm

bandiflip wrote:You got gas on ures Roger ?
Yes - didn't have time to switch it today, but the way it runs on petrol I don't expect probs...

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm

TwoSheds wrote:
davew wrote:Well done :)

Does that mean I can have my engine hoist back so I can finally move the spare engine and gearbox out of the way ? :)

You could have had it any time Dave - I thought that when you were ready you would ask... Would you like me to bring it one night this week (not Friday) or would Saturday morning do?

Saturday morning would be spot on :)
Last edited by davew on Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Two hours hard graft in the cold an I have the Y pipe on - bladdy-hell getting the nuts on is fiddly. Anyway - now at least I managed to let it run for a few minutes - long enough to hear a very rattly tappet (which thankfully went quiet when blipped) and discover a leaky water pump - however I have seen water pumps leak on occasion when they have been standing for a while and then stop when run for a while - hopefully it might seal it's self, finger crossed.

The engine sounds great and seems to pick up faster than the old one. The clutch and power steering both work and (apart from the water pump) there are no apparent leaks (yet).

S'pose I'd better tell the DVLA now..

TwoSheds

IDIOT!

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:06 pm

I sent the log book off for the engine change while it is still sorned - so now I can't see any way of taxing it until I get it back - which could be weeks eve IF they don't start buggering me about :(

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:06 pm

You can still tax it online, assuming you took a copy of the log book or a note of the number before you sent it off.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:31 pm

davew wrote:You can still tax it online, assuming you took a copy of the log book or a note of the number before you sent it off.
Nah - to stupid to do anything sensible like that...

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Both when I did my engine no change and then later my colour change the amended V5Cs came back within a few days....was fairly impressed!
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks :) That's cheered me up a bit. I am still worried that they will start asking for invoices and engineers reports which will all slow the process down... It should be mobile and ready to go this weekend so I will be itching to drive it then.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Lots of little tidy-up jobs done before rain stopped play today - brakes bled, clutch bled (again) and everything is working as it should. 2 small leaks both of which are intermittent - the water pump and the bottom pulley.

Chomping at the bit now - just waiting for the cocumentation..

TwoSheds

NOW I am depressed

Postby TwoSheds » Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Just phoned the DVLA

4-6 weeks turn around on changes.
THEN they will require a receipt
THEN 4 to six weeks turn around

It could be 3 months before I get it taxed!

Unless I pay £25 for a replacement log book which isn't lost anyway...

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 pm

How much would the 25 quid speed the job up, might be worth it.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri May 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Apparently I can go into the local DVLA office with my mot and insurance and walk out with a tax disc then argue the toss about the engine afterwards. I think that I will just have to do that, then hopefully RHB will be my first trip out :)

On the good side I just tried to test the fans tonight - although I know the switch and both fans work, I couldn't get it hot enough to trigger fan2, although fan1 was on for quite a while.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”