Club Forum

Roger's RRC: An update

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: While you were out enjoying yourself..

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:00 am

After work last night I re-assembled the rear brakes (I had forgotten about them!) and replaced the servo and master cylinder.Three out of four brake pipes on the master cylinder needed re-making due to the pipe twisting up :x You know it's about time somebody came up with brake components/design that are serviceable.. I sorted two of the pipes, but I still have one to re-make because it got too dark :(

I'm getting all enthusiastic again since hearing the engine yesterday - I'm having difficulty resisting the temptation of getting Mr Sparky going and starting down the pickup/king-cab route until after the MoT :) :wink:

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Been using hozelock sprayer at wk for 2.5 years with ATF, MTF and EP, slow but very effective and gives you chance to make a brew as it fills things up for you, if you know the capacity you can also fill the sprayer to just about the correct amount.
Matthew

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Matthews wrote:Been using hozelock sprayer at wk for 2.5 years with ATF, MTF and EP, slow but very effective and gives you chance to make a brew as it fills things up for you, if you know the capacity you can also fill the sprayer to just about the correct amount.
Matthew

Thanks Matthew - that's good to hear, I half expected to walk into the garage this morning and find a soggy red mess where it used to be :)

Tonight I got the replacement brake pipe made and fitted and I fitted the seats, crash-switch and seat-belts - at this rate I'll be running out of excuses soon!
Roger

p.s. Does anyone use those pressure bleeders or know which are the best type?

p.p.s. With new ATF in the LT77 I can now get into first gear without going via fourth :) Not surprising there is an improvement - the old stuff was like ditch-water :o

Rog

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:45 am

yep, i have an eezi-bleed sat in my garage you can borrow if you can get round to ossett.
has all the different cap sizes too.

got a gunsens gas wotsit autotune in there too somewhere, not that i need it, as i havent run a petrol motor since my old mini........
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:33 am

Matthews wrote:Been using hozelock sprayer at wk for 2.5 years with ATF, MTF and EP, slow but very effective and gives you chance to make a brew as it fills things up for you, if you know the capacity you can also fill the sprayer to just about the correct amount.
Matthew

If eventually the seals etc perish you can gat a complete set from gargen centes cheaply

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 am

nicks90 wrote:yep, i have an eezi-bleed sat in my garage you can borrow if you can get round to ossett.
has all the different cap sizes too.

got a gunsens gas wotsit autotune in there too somewhere, not that i need it, as i havent run a petrol motor since my old mini........

Thanks :) but it would probably cost more in fuel than to buy one!
I have an old colortune too - great bit of kit if you run carbs - there's not much I can do about mixture on the EFI though ;)
Roger

p.s. Just found an eezibleed for £15 inc delivery tomorrow so I'm going for that.. :)

p.p.s Bugger! I didn't realise that Ossett was so close (I'm an incommer you see, don't know my way round yet) - I could have saved myself a few squids there!

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:28 am

Got the Eezibleed and it's great! Since I split the clutch line for access during welding, I have had several goes at bleeding it with my neighbour pumping and me underneath using possibly THE most awkward bleed-screw ever. Needless to say I got nowhere. Ten minutes by myself with the Eezibleed and it's sorted! :D
Unfortunately I ran out of fluid beefore I finished the brakes, but at least now I can move the car around under it's own power :)

Good piece of kit, but should come in a better container for workshop storage.

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:54 pm

MoT tomorrow... (worried) It's really just a shell at the mo (no trim or door-cards etc) Unfortunately the drivers window winder decided to go this morning so some of the time I would have spent on checks went on replacing that. Sorted now though.

Just tested the brakes - pulled up good and straight but strangely locked both fronts when really hammered - I would have expected the backs to lock - especially with not having any trim or seats in the rear.. Only thing I can think of is that the front discs are new and the rears are a little rusty.

Got a two mile straight on the way to the MoT, so will probably go along there in third or something to give it a bit of a blow through.

While I was testing the brakes just now I gave it full throttle in 2nd from a walking pace up to about 30, and BOY does it shift! It makes the old Disco look a bit sad, well actually it makes it's old SELF look a bit sad too! I can't emphasise enough the benefits of decent ignition - anyone who is still running a dizzy should definitely Jolt it :D

Got to go now - I'm out at Shakespeare at the Abbey tonight, so final fettling will be tomorrow morning. If I am strangely quiet tomorrow afternoon you will know what's happened..

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Fingers crossed !

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:42 pm

:- )
Not even an advisory and he complimented me on my welding...

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Yayyyyyyy!

Well done Roger!
8)
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:55 pm

EXCELLENT JOB !!!...Well done Roger...See you at Lothers hill cross dale...what ever its called !
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:53 pm

Well done. It must be a good day for MoTs as my 110 passed this morning. First time in years I've got a green piece of paper at the first attempt!

Paul

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 pm

repton wrote:Well done. It must be a good day for MoTs as my 110 passed this morning. First time in years I've got a green piece of paper at the first attempt!

Paul

Congratulations! :D

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Had a productive day today - got the rear recovery point sorted:

ImageNot a bad departure angle for a 'standard' Range Rover :) The bumper is standard but with a scaffold tube welded inside and heavy duty mountings.

I also put the one-shot in the front hubs - didn't want to do it before the MoT just in case ;)

Then I played with the ignition maps - doing road tests on both gas and petrol and I am really happy with the result :)

Performance test: Third gear accelerate from 40mph at one road sign and check speed at the next. Petrol - 53mph, gas - 52mph.

Flexibility and (self-imposed) 5000rpm rev limit test: From below tickover - flat out in 2nd - engine pulls strongly all the way to 5000rpm and then goes flat as a fart. Same for petrol and gas.

Only one leak found so far - I appear to have a weeping rear crank seal. Probably not worth worrying about but I will keep an eye on it. It might have been there all along (can't remember) or maybe the long layup caused it.

After today's runs the emissions now seem fine - on gas I reckon I could almost breath the stuff neat! :lol:

Still got so much to do, but at least I can play with it now.

Roger

Return to “Member's Vehicles”