Club Forum

The P38 Struggle continues............

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

The P38 Struggle continues............

Postby bandiflip » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:10 am

Hello Chaps (and chappesses).....Well..some people think its a plastic RangeRover and not so capable,but i like it and want to use it for what is was built for,not taking the kids to school!!
Its a 1997 P38 2.5DT manual,no leather heated seats,air-conditioning or HORRIBLE air suspension!!The coil springs were fitted before i bought it but what a difference they make on and off-road..so smooth and a much nicer ride than air..I highly recommend Coil springs.I have binned the un-reliable viscous fan set up and fit a pair of electric cooling fans,bit of a squeeze but just the job.Next on the list is a some water-proofing,a snorkle,winch and a steering guard...but due the lack of people making gear for this mark..its gonna be improvisation time i think!!!....if anyone has any idea's or parts for sale .....i'm all ears.......will do some foto's and post later..cheers,Phil
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm pretty sure that when Maddisons built the bobtail P38 they used A modified Discovery winch bumper for the front.

I think the radiator comes really low too so I think the steering guard was also used to guard the bottom of the radiator - might not be an issue on yours without air con but I know with air con it was a problem. There are a load of pics of the build on their web site - you might be able to get some ideas.

bandiflip

P38 Progress!!!!

Postby bandiflip » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Well thats useful.....i'll get looking .......cheers!!!!
(it's good ere init?)

bandiflip

Postby bandiflip » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Hello again....As my project is nearing completion i just need a few bits...I need a set of extended braided brake hoses,They are not the same as classic's because they have a banjo fitting to the caliper...anyone know anywhere that can make me some ??
Diff guards are becoming a nitemare...I want some that aren't gonna snap or bend when i need them to do there job...So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions (apart from selling it)...I'm all ears!!...Taa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bandiflip on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bandiflip

Postby bandiflip » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:42 pm

and another
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bandiflip on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bandiflip

Postby bandiflip » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:44 pm

Does its bum look big in this ??

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 pm

I've used a piece of 100mm wide 6mm flat bar very successfully in the past, bend it in a semicircle and weld on top and bottom of axle case (lasted 6 years on back of 110 with no probs)
Matthew

bandiflip

Postby bandiflip » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm

Yeah....sounds like a good idea...cheers Matthew

Orange rover
Full Name: Martin Ellis

Postby Orange rover » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:33 am

Hi phil
for brake hoses try dave at llama 4x4, very helpful used him a no. of times.
http://www.llama4x4.co.uk/
cheers martin
Another crappy day in paradise
WWW.OCUREM.COM

bandiflip

Postby bandiflip » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:59 am

Hello Martin,Dont think we've met...Thanks for the info...will look now..Cheers

bandiflip

Postby bandiflip » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:48 pm

COME ON ROGER!!!.....i'M NEARLY DONE !!!... :D
After a long wait i have EVENTUALLY got my winch bumper...and its ON..YIPEE !!...And even better,There is a decent sized boxed section frame around the bottom of the radiator,which is ideal for moutning a steering guard to,I bought a defender guard a while ago hoping to modify it in some way to fit,but have had to wait for my winch bumper before i could try.
Soo...the bumper comes...bolt it on....tried the steering guard,and after drilling 6 holes for extra mounting bolts..IT FITS !!!..it was alomost made to measure...couldnt belive it!!
So next job...winch on..plasma on...2nd battery on and am ready for ANYTHING!!...well M.O.T anyway...Hopefully be on the road in the next few days...cant wait !!!..Its too clean!!!!!!!!

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:14 am

Looks good, do you think you'll get it to RHB ? It'll be interesting to see how it performs.

bandiflip

Postby bandiflip » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:51 am

Hmmm....I think i might just be able to get it ready.....will try my best anyway

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:01 am

bandiflip wrote:COME ON ROGER!!!.....i'M NEARLY DONE !!!... :D

What? I've only been doing it for four years now (or is it five?) - anyway, there's a long way to go yet...

I reckon that yours should be the subject of an article in one of the rags - I've never seen anything like it before and I am sure that loads of people would be interested..

If it's a nice day I may shoot over to RHB on my Honda - hopefully I'll see it running then :)

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:47 am

Phil,

in the last photo with your bumper and gaurd on (looks well cool by the way!) whats that bent bit of tube/bar that goes across the front of the diff?
Looks a bit vulnerable.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Return to “Member's Vehicles”