Club Forum

Rebuilding Pam's 90

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:21 pm

The old radiator was also shot with a good proportion of the vanes falling out when it was tipped on it's side. I decided to go for a 2.5TD radiator again as they are about the biggest standard Defender radiator you can get. I opted for a Britpart one and was pleasantly surprised to find that, despite the cost having gone down since the last one I bought, the new one has an aluminium core.

Hopefully that'll help with cooling although we've never had an issue in the past with overheating in the 90 (unless you count the time the fans failed !).

New Radiator in situ...

Last Sunday i spent the day shuffling a trailer back and forth to the paint shop. After much pontificating about the best way to transport the back body and then fit it without scratching/damaging it or myself, a solution was found. I borrowed a trailer on Sunday morning, took the rolling chassis to Maddisons and between us we lifted the back body onto the chassis and bolted it on with a handful of bolts. We then bolted the seatbox on, which was also ready, and brought the whole lot home.

The main time consuming bit other than driving back and forth to Thirsk 6 times was the process of putting the chassis on and off the trailer, a process greatly helped by the use of the winch on the front of my motor.

The bulkhead was supposed to be ready too but the painter wasn't happy with the finish and wanted to strip it back again. I couldn't see anything wrong with it myself... maybe that's why I'm not a painter :) This week he's resprayed it and it's now ready for collection tomorrow evening when I pick the Rangie up from it's annual service and MOT.

If all goes to plan I'll get the bulkhead on on Saturday and can start running the main loom in. I'm using a new loom from a late TD5 90 so I'll have a bit of work to do but at least it already includes supports for some of the toys we're adding, central locking, aircon, leccy windows, heated front screen etc...

olzook
Full Name: oliver heselton

Postby olzook » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Oh bugger. :(

Looks like you are well in the lead.

Ah well.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:17 am

toys we're adding, central locking, aircon, leccy windows, heated front screen etc...

:shock:
this is a defender right? :twisted:
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:41 am

Look Nick, even with all that tarty stuff, it will still be a big step down from the luxury I've been used to these last few months, commuting to York in the P38!

I did start thinking that heated seats and a auto-dimming rear view mirror might get added to the list but then I decided divorce is a very messy thing....
:D
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm just jealous because my 90 is cold and draughty and 'heat' is something other vehicles have. Working electrics is also something that other vehicles have as well, rear wiper has just packed in - again...
:evil:
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:54 pm

A bit of a slow weekend, Saturday was virtually written off by a self inflicted injury, you'd think I'd know better at my age wouldn't you ?

Anyway, hangovers aside, I managed to get a bit of work done. I filled the inside of the bulkhead box sections with Dinitrol cavity wax. I soaked the tin in a bucket of hot water first to help it flow better and it seemed to work well. Once that was done we carefully placed it on the chassis and bolted it up.

I removed the LPG tank mounting cradle from the old rear tub and had a bit of a trial and error session trying to decide how far forward to mount it with the rear body now not having a bulkhead. This also meant I had to loosely fit the bulkhead bar and it's side supports to see where everything sits.

We had a Land Rover load cover rubber thing in the back of the 90 before but as it was fitted after the LPG tank it has a huge hole in it where I fitted it around the mounting cradle. Looking at it again now I think we've decided to get a new one and put it in before I mount the tank.

With the bulkhead now in position it was good to see that all the pipes I ran through from the back are in the right place. I started to re-furnish the bulkhead with the windscreen wipers, sound deadening panels, rubber bungs etc...

I ran the main wiring loom in as it's easier to do without the dash in. I ended up buying two TD5 bulkhead looms off the bay as they were both cheap at the time. One of them has had the radio connector butchered and the other has had the part of the harness that goes into the roof chopped off. The one with the good radio connector looked to be in the best condition and had all the relays with it so I used that. At some point I'll graft the good bit form the other harness onto it so the roof connector is good. the connectors that go to the back of the centre console switches are keyed but basically mostly the same pinout so hopefully I will be able to modify one of them for the heated front screen switch.

It took some time to get the door switch window/locking wiring into the bulkhead pillars, not helped by someone filling the sections with Dinitrol so the wires and connectors were blathered in the stuff by the time I'd fed them through :)

I mounted the fuse box under the seat and connected everything together. As the harness is missing the heated front screen and aircon parts I'll have to sort those out separately. I'll try and get hold of a TD5 engine harness so I can use the connectors from that and use as much of the TD5 wiring as possible. The thought being that, if the need should arise, we can convert to a TD5 fairly easily if the main harness is already there and untouched. I've already bought a TD5 instrument cluster and a TD5 heater box so, wiring wise, most of it should be plug and play... in theory !

Where possible I'll tap into the TD5 ECU wiring to use for the Megasquirt/LPG ECUs as both of those can live under the seat where the TD5 ECU would go.

If anybody happens to have a TD5 engine harness going spare in any condition (but with the connectors intact) I could really do with finding one soon. I'll have to keep searching the bay in the meantime.

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Err Dave....A hangover is NOT a self inflicted Injury ...!! :lol:
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:57 pm

I spent this weekend rebuilding the bulkhead, refitting all the bits and pieces that make up the steering column, dashboard, heating system etc...

Some of the dash panels had to be modified slightly to suit the new style windscreen wiper motor/assembly, especially the lower dash where i had to cut the metal away that is designed to wrap around the old style wiper motor. I'd learnt from my previous mistakes and bought a new top support panel which made fitting the vent controls a lot simpler and probably (hopefully) will also mean that the vents close a bit tighter that they did.

I decided, probably wrongly, that I wouldn't need to take the dash panel apart again so assembled everything and tightened it all up. The change to a TD5 wiring harness did throw up a couple of problems that will need to be resolved, the heater motor connectors at both the dash and the motor end are different, for example.

Hopefully the TD5 engine harness I bought off the bay will arrive this week and I can hook some power up and see what works and what doesn't prior to installing the engine ECU, LPG ECU and the alarm system.

For some reason the throttle assembly on the engine is different on the engine that came out of my motor so the throttle cable isn't long enough. Not sure if I'll fit the linkages off the other engine or find a longer cable yet.

I took a few pics on my phone for posterity...

The under seat fuse box...

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:10 am

ITS BLUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:48 am

I guess it is, yes :)

I was going to post the pics in black and white so the colour would be a surprise... but then I decided I really couldn't be arsed !

olzook

Postby olzook » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:10 am

Ah blue eh.

Are you and Pam taking up farming ???????

pamw
Official

Postby pamw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:21 am

Cheeky!

Actually it is Oslo Blue micametallic - so not the standard farmer's blue! (Maybe more head gamekeeper!) :wink:

Will look a bit like this when finished (minus the horrid light bar and TD5 decal)

olzook

Postby olzook » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Very nice 8)

Head game keeper or even estate owner :wink:

davel
Full Name: Dave Leach

Postby davel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:00 pm

All that faffing about with secrecy and all you've done is copy the colour of my Discovery!

If you had asked me I would have given you permission to use the colour and you wouldn't have had all the worry of having to keep it top secret :)

pamw
Official

Postby pamw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Dave - don't think I've ever seen your Discovery in the light so had no idea twas the very same colour! :lol:

Return to “Member's Vehicles”