Club Forum

Another 90 joins the pack ...............

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Mon May 31, 2010 11:45 pm

New caption competition ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Engine & box out

Postby varleym » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Needed a bit of help tonight from Phil & Tim to get the engine and gearbox out - dirty job but someone's got to do it !! :lol: (Thanks to Dave for the loan of his engine hoist )

Anyway, chassis just needs a final degrease at the front and we're ready to start welding and then priming. Looking forward to not getting covered in oil each time I touch it !!

Keep watching :P

Cheers

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

varleym

The result ..............

Postby varleym » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Engine & box all ready for fettling.............

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm

I see it's a Disco 200TDI you've got in it .
Matthew

varleym

Postby varleym » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Yup - I was told that the defender ones have the turbo mounted further up, that's I believe how you tell them apart. Are there many other differences or are the Disco and Defender 200 TDi variants very similar?

Mark

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:50 pm

5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

varleym

It's official ...........

Postby varleym » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Having spent a good deal of the weekend stripping the remaining items, including the bulkhead from the chassis and running a needle scaler over it (thanks BO!), my welding man and I have come to the conclusion that it was probably going to cost in the region of £300 - £400 to repair the chassis, on the basis that more holes would no doubt appear as we went along. :cry: And of course at the end of it I'd still have a 25 year old chassis.

That being the case, I think I'm probably better off biting the bullet and saving up for a new galvanised one - Richard's Chassis seem to be the favourite by concensus. At least I can spend the time when I'm saving up servicing/refurbushing/cleaning/painting all the parts ready to build up when the chassis arrives. :roll:

I'll probably put the old chassis on Ebay, as it would probably make a reasonable buy for someone who can weld themselves and therefore would only cost their own time to re-furbish. I'll probably put it on next week, but if anyone fancy's it for themselves, let me know and I'm sure we'll be able to sort out a mutually beneficial deal.

Cheers

Mark

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 am

if you do put it on the bay of e - make sure you CUT OUT the section that has the chassis number on it and specifically state it has no id and no paperwork.

last thing you want is someone to build it up and steal your vehicles ID.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

varleym

Postby varleym » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:50 am

Good point - cheers Nick.

varleym

Chassis No

Postby varleym » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 am

Just following on from Nick's point above - will the new galv chassis have a brand new chassis number stamped on that I can then just register on my V5 with the DVLA? If not, do I somehow have to get the old chassis number stamped on it?

Cheers

Mark

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Mark, I would advise you keep hold of your old chassis until you are completely done. This is in case the vehicle inspectorate want to check out your motor.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

varleym

Sand/grit blasting

Postby varleym » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Stripped the front axle down today - one of the swivel housings was full of water! Both are pitted so I'll need a new pair, plus bearings, etc.

Anyone know where I can get the axle and hub sand/grit blasted in the Harrogate area - cheap !!

Cheers

Mark

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 pm

There are 2 places on the Boroughbridge road out of Knaresborough that do shot blasting. There's an Addyman's place where I got Pam's axles and stuff done. They did a good job but it's a bit of a pain to get in/out.

The other place is the yard that has all the vintage tractors, I intend to give them a try next time I need some blasting doing.

If you do get some done make sure you get it collected as soon as possible after it's been done, it's amazing how quickly surface rust can form on blasted items.

Ideally you should make some covers for the openings in the axle case, it'll work out quicker than trying to remove all the grit from the axle afterwards !

varleym

Postby varleym » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 am

Cheers Dave

I assume when you say "I had Pam's axles and other bits done" that you mean the axles and accessories from her landrover - not her personally :shock:

I'd have thought that might chafe a bit !!! :roll:

varleym

Done the deed

Postby varleym » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Bit the bullet today and ordered the new chassis from Richards Chassis. It's around an 8 week lead time (the bloke I spoke to said they're working 7 days a week at the minute!) so I won't have to pay the balance till mid-end Oct when I've saved up a bit.

One 'extra' I have ordered is the fitment of a North Offroad rear winch crossmember (a modification which is quite popular, according to Nigel at Richard's Chassis). I've no immediate plans for a rear winch but it seemed to make sense to have this fitted in place of the standard crossmember before the whole lot was galvanised.

Need to spend the next few weeks getting together/cleaning/painting the bits to make the chassis 'rolling'.

Getting excited now :lol:

Mark

Return to “Member's Vehicles”