Club Forum

How many 90s does it take...

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

How many 90s does it take...

Postby Jabba » Fri May 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Thought it was about time to say hi. Yet another new member with a 90.
After several years in the wilderness, suffering a drought of Landrovers, I finally bought another. Having tried Series, 110s and RRCs, this time it is a 90.
A pretty standard 200Tdi station wagon.

After fixing the host of electrical problems (basically nothing worked), replacing UJs and diff seals and putting some oil in the transmission, it got thrown in at the deep end (literally) at Frickley.

That prompted a snorkel and a happier trip to Cowm.

Now all I need are some mud tyres, a diff guard and possibly a steering guard. Oh, and fix the host of other things that are broken, knackered or missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Fri May 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Welcome to the nut house!!!.........Good to see the 90's christening went OK !!....Looks a decent motor.....Had fun then??
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Fri May 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi, welcome, and well done for balancing the disco ratio.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sun May 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Have to admit, a Disco was never an option. I would have been tempted with an RRC, but the missus wanted a 90 or 110. I'm glad we went for the 90, 110s are useful but just too cumbersome off road for my liking.

Frickley was fun, but as the first outing it showed the problems of leaving the drop plate on the tow hitch (so that's now gone) and the lack of grip from the AT tyres in heavy mud or gloopy grass. Water in the air box also prompted the fitting of a snorkel! (see pic of home made air box to protect K&N pancake filter)

Cowm quarry a month later was a lot better as it's rockier and, although we avoided the really muddy bits, we got round just fine.

Spent yesterday fettling the steering and have got rid of 'most' of the play and now have roughly equal turns to lock each side.

I've just noticed though that one of the flexy brake hose is leaking. Hey ho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Well it was MOT time again and it failed - which surprised me a little as I didn't think there was anything really wrong. As it turns out there wasn't, it was the little things that I didn't even think of. Number plate lights not working, stop light lenses faded so the light wasn't 'red', number plate deteriorating around the edge, no rear reflectors and the footwell having been repaired with a pop riveted plate.

All the minor jobs took about an hour to fix, but the footwell took a little longer....

I could have just cleaned round the plate and welded it in, but I thought I'd do a better job. Luckily it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The plate that had been used had a small hole in it and I needed to fit plates either side to cover rotten bits of the floor. So after welding in a patch on the patch, and two side pieces, I welded the patch plate in and it all looks OK.

At some point I'll have to replace it properly but I can at least leave it till I have time. (so it'll do for another 10 years or so :shock: )

Looking forward to trying the new mud tyres (Thanks to Mick) helping Brendan set out at Briercliffe. Hadn't realised how much less offset there is on disco rims compared with modulars. Even with 750s instead of 235s, they almost touch the radius arms on full lock.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”