Club Forum

Hello!

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
doggydoo
Full Name: Jim Cameron

Hello!

Postby doggydoo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi

Well on Friday night I had a little too much to drink and the following day found myself at a friends house with no vehichle.

On the drive was a series 2 softtop '67 with the sides rolled up & it looked very inviting due to the sunny weather. Anyway I borrowed it & instantly fell in love with it & after pulling a tree root out in the garden decided that I'd better have one of my own. My friend suggested I could borrow his but I wanted my own and fancied something with a bit more grunt.

Not being the patient type I found one on the same day & paid for it today - no I havnt even seen it.

But here she is.

http://www.motodrome.co.uk/#/1964-land-rover-series-iia-88i/4541784649

I havnt done any off roading and never owned any 4x4 but I fancy a go. I'd like to come out to play with you all sometime.

What do you think of my new wheels?

:D

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Looks OK, they won't be able to fix the rich running problem when cold, it's a flapper EFi and what mixture you get when you first start them is always a lottery. Disconnecting the plug from the cold start injector is the simplest solution.

You need to take a very close look at the bulkhead "small holes" and "small cracks" appearing in those positions are often an indication of something more widespread but, you never know.

Bring it up to Helmsley and we'll all be able to prod and poke it. Enter the trial and you'll get a good feel for what works and what doesn't.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: Hello!

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Looks good to me Jim - I look forward to seeing it in the flesh :)

Welcome to the club - are you coming along to the meeting tomorrow?

Roger

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Why the poo reference :?

Cheers and welcome, Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:10 am

welcome to the club!

thats a very pretty little series you've got there and it looks a nice tidy installation of the V8 too, plenty of cable ties and tidy engine bay is always a nice sign. Hope to see you at the next trial so we can all have a gander at it!

Nick
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Is no one else interested in the poo reference, or have I got it wrong? Does it make reference to the particular styles in which doggies do do what ever they do? just a thought :shock: :?

I agree Motor looks like a good buy, you will have some great fun in that I'm sure.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm interested in the poo reference but just too polite to ask! :shock: :wink:
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

doggydoo

Postby doggydoo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Oddly enough the majority seems to be more interested in poo than my lovely new motor. I guessed you liked mud, but poo??? You filthy mothers.

:wink:

Dave - thanks for your pesimism, you are right - it will break (be broken!) but at the end of the day LR has a new fan, I know I'll love it even if I have to get the bus (I take that back, I hate buses).

I havnt even got it yet (Im sooo impatient!) but yes Im hoping to come let you poke my holes in Hemsley, Helmsley etc.

But seriously it would be good to have some expert eyes on her + be nice to drink a beer or two, camp out & break the new love of my life - dont poke her too hard! (leave that to me)

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't understand - what poo reference?

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

His forum/user name is "doggydoo"...

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:45 pm

davew wrote:His forum/user name is "doggydoo"...

hmm - never thought of that... Throws a whole new light on Scoobydoo eh?!

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:17 pm

I know probably the only song in the world to mention Doggydoo.
Poodle Party by the Dickes, for those of a certain age.
http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/d/dickies6433/poodleparty1155558.html
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

doggydoo

Postby doggydoo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:32 am

Well its been 6 weeks & I just got it (her?) today. The chap who was selling was struggling with the electronic ignition and ended up putting carbs on. I've not tested her much at all & already replaced the fan switch that broke within minutes of ownership. But after a whopping £2.50 outlay & 5 mins the fan is running and I've 'fixed' my first Land Rover (I even bought another switch for when the others go!).

The vendor said, referring to the body work, it had a nice patina - I say it looks like its about 46 years old and lived a full life. I think it probably needs total restoration but she wont get that so quickly. I just hope that the welding on the chasis is good!

The softtop is rotting nicely and I'd like to get this cleaned and re-waterproofed as soon as poss - can anyone suggest what to use or point in the right direction? (or can a replacement be picked up cheap?)

I dont know if she's up to trialling but if I can squeeze it in I'd like to come up to Brotherton and have some expert eyes over it so I dont snap her in two.

Anyway, will be driveing her about over the next few days to see what gives next

doggydoo

Postby doggydoo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Oh, & another thing - its got colway c trax mt 235/85 r16 can anyone recommend on & off road tyre pressures please...

thanks

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Are they tubeless do you know ?

On road I'd put them at between 24 and 30psi.

Off road between 16 and 24 psi for tubed, 20 - 24 for tubeless.

You can go lower with tubed tyres as they won't get knocked off the rim as easily, the downside is that the lower you go the higher the chance of getting dirt pushed into the bead that will eventually wear through the tube. I normally keep mine above 20 psi for that reason but on wet grass I might lower them more. Below 16 is asking for trouble unless you have beadlocks fitted.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”