Club Forum

V8 Distributor - advice needed

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
richsudall
Full Name: Richard Sudall

V8 Distributor - advice needed

Postby richsudall » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:42 pm

I pulled out of Helmsley at the last minute due to my distributor advance mechanism failing (according to the AA) I'm not too sure having had it in a few bits Sunday night. However its un-settled me. Can anyone advise me on which distributors fit my Rover V8 P6 engine, the oil gear is on the end of the shaft. I have had the engine for 15 years and am now finding it tricky to get caps and points etc so might like a more modern unit. WHAT CAN I REPLACE IT WITH EASILY is my question.
Also what plug leads do I buy?
Thanks Richard -

Johnb
Full Name: John Bilton

Postby Johnb » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:41 pm

RPI Engineering are the people to speak to. Visit their website http://www.v8engines.com/ or ring them on 01603 891209. You'll need Engine number and they should be able to tell you exactly what bits you need and even quote you a price for them. When you know what you need, you can shop around for a decent price :lol:
"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

richsudall

Postby richsudall » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:55 pm

I sorted my distributor issue, throwing some money and a dose of hard graft always delivers. The V8's running like a sewing machine.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:16 am

richsudall wrote:I sorted my distributor issue, throwing some money and a dose of hard graft always delivers. The V8's running like a sewing machine.

Was the AA man correct? What was the solution in the end?
Wish mine would run like a sewing machine - it's more like a threshing machine :cry:

richsudall

Postby richsudall » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:53 am

It was the vacuum advance module, the rubber diaphragm inside was split so I replaced the whole unit. Still no better so I mopped up the tears and stared at it for 5 minutes. The pipe that connects it to the carb was fine but the small rubber elbows on BOTH ends were split. I fabricated a new pipe and all was well.
A week before (and 24 hours before Helmsley) the AA man had narrowed it down to the distributor but said he had spent enough time in my garage and if the vehicle had been out and about would request a recovery to anywhere I wanted.
A happy ending.
Thanks for asking
Richard

Return to “Technical Info”