Club Forum

Heater matrix removal.

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Heater matrix removal.

Postby varleym » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 pm

I've discovered a leak in one of the copper pipes at the top of the heater matrix. I think I can get it soldered up but I've obviously got to remove it from the heater/fan assembly to do it.

Having examined the unit (and it's still on the vehicle) the only way to get the heater matrix out seems to be to drill out the pip rivets at the top of the case and kind of 'peel back' the top of the housing enough to lift the matrix assembly out.

Is there an easier way of getting the heater matrix out or is it as 'agricultural' as I've described above?

Cheers

Mark

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Take the whole assembly out (only about 4 bolts) drill out all the rivets, sort the matrix and put it back together with new foam and you'll be toastie.
Matthew

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 pm

I seem to remember reading you can get extra core heat exchangers which with the new foam that Mathew mentioned would nearly bring it up to a usable standard.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

varleym

Postby varleym » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Cheers Chaps. Never been inside the heater assembly before so when you refer to 'new foam' - what do you mean?

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:11 pm

The matrix is held in with foam round it , it disitegrates allowing all the air to go round rather than through the matrix i.e it doesn't warm up, all you need to use is draught excluder foam when you reassemble and hey presto toastie heater (I have to turn it off in the 90 at times ).
Matthew

varleym

Postby varleym » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Ah - I see. So the reason the matrix rattles around like a, err, rattley thing is that all the foam has disintegrated then.

Return to “Technical Info”