Club Forum

Going Auto

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Going Auto

Postby varleym » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:51 am

Starting to think about converting Kermit to an auto. Want to keep the 200 TDi engine and am looking at a 200 Tdi auto box on t'Bay. Couple of questions:

1. Am I right in assuming the only difference betwen a 200 Tdi and 300 Tdi box assembly is the bellhousing ie. the actual gearbox is the same?

2. If I do use a 200 Tdi auto box will I have to move the gearbox mounts and alter propshafts, etc?

3. Other than losing the cubby box and having to fabricate a housing/mounting for the gear change lever, are there any other significant modifications I need to consider?

Even if I get the box, I'm probably not going to fit it until winter ready for next year.

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Mark

Muttly
Full Name: Peter Burns

Postby Muttly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:36 am

I think there is a "build thread" on a well known off road forum (the name escapes me) for this.
If it's not leaking then it's run out..

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Why didn't you buy a scrap 300tdiauto disco when you started your rebuild as then you'd have all the correct engine/gearbox mounts on your nice galvy chassis.?

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 am

Didn't really have any intentions to go to auto or do challenge type stuff when I built it, plus it already had a 200 Tdi in it so that's the chassis specification I got.

So what's the crack with the questions above?

Cheers

Mark

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Have you got the long bellhousing LT77 gearbox, if so then I think the lengths are the same so it will be a nut/bolts job with either RR auto mounts or a slightly tweaked gearbox xmember, propshafts will fit, you'll need a 200tdi ringgear driveplate/boss assembly to replace your flywheel, autobox should come with TC, use a Jag XJ shifter assembly (I've got a couple of RRC shift assemblies if you prefer that, make sure you get the xfer lever extension with the autobox and the oil cooler n pipes.
Matthew

Return to “Technical Info”