Club Forum

BIG BANG!!!

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Adrian Dawes
Full Name: Adrian Dawes

BIG BANG!!!

Postby Adrian Dawes » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 pm

All

On Monday as I was reversing my land rover slowly I heard and felt a BIG BANG from underneath (no I hadn't hit anything). I got out to check underneath but couldn't see anything, I expected to see a drive shaft in pieces it was that loud. Sounded/felt like something letting go or breaking.

As I couldn't see anything, I pulled away nice and easy just in case, no problems. Drove home slowly no problems. Tested the low box as well, no problems.

Have been using it to drive to work all week, all speeds and up to 55/60mph, no problems at all.

Gear changes are as normal, however we noticed that half shaft does a 1/4 turn before any drive is gained (is this normal). Until the bang, I haven't looked for this before so don't know if it has always done this.

Today I was driving slowly forward into parking space and the bang happened again, but not half as big.

Has anyone experienced this before or any idea what it could be?

I have a series 2A Chassis/body, Disco 200 TDI engine and axles, defender gear box.

Cheers
Adrian
You never stop learning!

jim
Full Name: James Poulton

Postby jim » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 pm

I think the rear A frame ball joint makes a loud bang if it is worn.
Jim Poulton :)

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:48 pm

The diff lock might be engaged, most likely to show up when manoeuvring slowly such as when parking.

By the sounds of it it's most likely to be something in the final transmission - transfer box, prop shafts, axle.

Jack one wheel up and see if you can slowly drive off the jack without diff lock in. If you can, then the diff lock is stuck in.

If you can't drive off then allow the wheel to spin SLOWLY for a while and see if you get any strange effects/noises. A missing tooth/teeth in the diff can cause jumps and bangs in the transmission.

Do the same with a wheel on the other axle.

If you get a problem with both axles then it's the transfer box diff that has a problem.

If it's only one axle then that axle will need stripping and the diff checking.

Adrian Dawes
Full Name: Adrian Dawes

Postby Adrian Dawes » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Jim & Dave
Thank you for the advice
I will check all of the fore-mentioned.
Adrian
You never stop learning!

legin
Full Name: Nigel Harness

Postby legin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Had similar but also felt the big bang. Was rear diff falling apart.

Return to “Technical Info”