Club Forum

Spring jumping out

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Spring jumping out

Postby Jabba » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm

One of my rear springs seems to keep coming out of the socket at the top. The bottom is fixed in place but the top normally locates in the bracket on the chassis. Twice now, after off road sessions, I've found it partially out of the top fitting.

I've got standard length shocks on so there shouldn't be any 'dislocation' going on.

Any ideas why it's doing it?

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 pm

They're dislocating. :D

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Matthew, don't you know someone who has devised a system to stop that happening??
Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:48 am

I guess that the deCarbon shocks are slightly longer than standard then or my springs have compressed - at least on the left side as that is the only side this has happened.

Any suggestions as to the simplest way to stop it happening? Jubilee clips round the top of the spring to the chassis hanger - or is that just going to knacker the retaining plate at the bottom of the spring?

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 pm

The simple fix is to buy some relocation cones and bolt them on. Alternatively you could make some for the bottom of the spring by replacing the retainer plate with a 3 sided pyramid of angle iron or bar and fixing the top of the spring by making retainer bar.

Relocation cones are cheap enough, these are good... (not sure why they show 4 in the picture as you only need 2, obviously).
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page23.html

Or you can use these for "extreme" articulation...
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page68.html

All these methods allow the sprint to dislocate, giving you maximum travel, but make sure that the spring relocates correctly afterwards. The extreme one is only need if your spring is likely to dislocate past the end of the cone... don't think you'll have that problem.

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:14 pm

2 big jubilee clips will be fine to stop them coming out.

if you intend fitting longer shocks (plus 2") and the 'dislocation' starts to get a bit silly - then you are best doing some form of relocation device.
I copied Matthews system - weld a small pyramid out of rebar/1"box/1" tube to the bottom spring mount and then retain the top of the spring with a couple of bits of 6mm plate and nuts+bolts.

edited to add: dont leave a reply on your screen for 3 hours whilst you get on with work and then press post - as someone like the dave will get in before you with the same reply.....
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks all.

Sounds like some jubilee clips for the moment and then some relocation cones later (when its warmer!)

I guess the new shocks are longer when extended than the standard rubbish.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Jubilee clips will work until the retaining bar bends, at which point the spring has a chance of taking out a brake pipe. If it's going to relocate badly it's better it does it at the top where it's less likely to do any harm.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 pm

That's what I thought the problem might be. Guess its some sort of relocation cone then.

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Dave

I've got a set of Terrafirma rear dislocation cones somewhere. I swapped from top dislocation to bottom due to the +5 shocks I've got. Give me a bell if you're interested.

Cheers

Mark

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks Mark. Will try to give you a bell tomorrow.

Return to “Technical Info”