Club Forum

Mudflaps

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
mike
Full Name: Mike Burgess

Mudflaps

Postby mike » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Apparently (according to the traffic policeman who stopped me today), mudflaps are a legal requirement.... well, something to stop spray/stones/etc hurting motor/cyclists is required anyway.

He wasn't able to give me any detailed guidance on coverage or size etc, but suggested answers were on the Internet.

He also said that some other traffic policeman would have issued me with a £50 on the spot fine.

So, beware if you are anywhere in the Leeds area (I was stopped in Headingley, but he works out of Killingbeck).

Also, can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

Mike

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 pm

As long as the vehicle is under 7.5 tonnes I'm pretty certain there is no legal requirement for them to be fitted. I know those challenge wings were heavy and that bumper but pretty sure you'll still sneak in under that requirement :)

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:18 pm

In the last 10 years, we have had two Freeloader's, a SAAB and a couple of Volvo's (oh and a Mondeo but we don't talk about that).
All we new and none had mudflaps fitted. Just looking at getting another new Freeloader and they are not even an option! I sugest that (I assume) young man was talking out of his counterbalance.
I'm with Dave, only vehicles 7.5t and above need to have spray suppression fitted.
Why not email the chief constable for clarification, that's what Phil does, don't you mate :wink:
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Rod
Full Name: tony

Postby Rod » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 pm

If it was a legal requirement wouldn`t it be part of the MOT ?
Would this also apply to tractors motor bike and so on

Cheers
Rod
Stercus fit !

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Mud flaps (aka spray suppression devices) are NOT a legal requirement for Land Rovers or even ordinary cars for that matter.

Legislation encompassed in the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 DO require them for certain types of vehicle (goods vehicles over a 12,000kg, trailers, etc) but in any case regardless of weight the legislation specifically excludes vehicles capable of operating drive to 1 rear and 1 front axles at the same time (ie. 4 wheel drive)

So it is NOT illegal to have no mud flaps on a Land Rover.

See here
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... on/64/made

Quote:
Spray suppression devices

64.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), this regulation applies to every wheeled goods vehicle which is—

(a)a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 having a maximum gross weight exceeding 12,000 kg;
(b)a trailer manufactured on or after 1st May 1985 having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3500 kg; or
(c)a trailer, whenever manufactured, having a maximum gross weight exceeding 16,000 kg and 2 or more axles.

(2) This regulation does not apply to—

(a)a motor vehicle so constructed that the driving power of its engine is, or can by use of its controls be, transmitted to all the wheels on at least one front axle and on at least one rear axle;
(b)a motor vehicle of which no part which lies within the specified area is less than 400 mm vertically above the ground when the vehicle is standing on reasonably flat ground;
(c)a works truck;
(d)a works trailer;
(e)a broken down vehicle;
(f)a motor vehicle which has a maximum speed not exceeding 30 mph;
(g)a vehicle of a kind specified in sub-paragraphs (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (j), (k), (o) or (p) of regulation 51(2);
(h)a vehicle specially designed, and not merely adapted, for the carriage and mixing of liquid concrete; or
(i)a vehicle which is being driven or towed to a place where by previous arrangement a device is to be fitted so that it complies with the requirements specified in paragraph (3).
(3) A vehicle to which this regulation applies and which is of a class specified in an item in column 2 of the Table shall not be used on a road on or after the date specified in column 3 in that item, unless it is fitted in relation to the wheels on each of its axles, with such containment devices as satisfy the technical requirements and other provisions about containment devices specified in the British Standard Specification, provided that in the case of a containment device fitted before 1st January 1985 the said requirements shall be deemed to be complied with if that containment device substantially conforms to those requirements.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Get his name and number, ask him to write the ticket qiuoting the breech of RTA for lack of mudflaps and tell him you'll see him in court to dispute the ticket, he'll either back down because he can't quote the regulation that doesn't exist or he'll look and absolute numpty in court when he can't prove it , thenyou can claim damages .

mpblandrover
Full Name: Matt Boothroyd

Postby mpblandrover » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 am

But if anyone feels they need mudflaps contact me for a super price!! :lol:

Return to “Technical Info”