Club Forum

disco 90amp alternator

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

disco 90amp alternator

Postby Jabba » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:18 pm

I've got one of these to fit to the 90 but I need to separate the two halves of the case and rotate one by 120deg to get the tensioner lug in the right place.
I had thought that if I removed the pulley and undid the bolts, I could pull the front casing off but it doesn't seem to want to come. The stator seems to be stuck to it.

Any ideas ?

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:12 am

Tap gently with hammer till it's free , gently I said and you don't want to pull it fully apart , just enough to get it to rotate.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:02 am

The problem is that it doesn't seem to be bolts that hold the 2 halves together but studs that fit into the front half and have nuts where the bits join. Also the stator is not moving in the front half and is wired through the back half.

Guess I need to get the stator moving somehow. Luckily the casing on this one is cracked so it's a test unit rather than the final one I actually need to use.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Got this one sorted now. It involved un-soldering the connections to the stator so I could get it apart and then re-soldering them. Took a fair bit of heating the casing and tapping it to get the stator out though. Don't fancy trying that again on an old one, but you can get new ones for about £80 so I'll probably do that and hope the stator moves easily.

The wiring to the back seems to be 3 ring terminals. From the Haynes it looks like only 2 of them are needed.
The right hand two seem to be labelled D+, and W. The leftmost doesn't have a letter on this alt (that I can see)

My old 45 amp alt has 3 spade terminals. Two large ones which both go to the starter and the third for the indicator wire.

Any ideas which way I'd connect them up?
Attachments
IMAG0154.jpg

Return to “Technical Info”