Club Forum

300tdi Disco Auto gear selector

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

300tdi Disco Auto gear selector

Postby repton » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:02 am

The gear selector in our 300tdi automatic Discovery has recently become quite stiff.

Where should I start looking? Are there any common causes? I assume there's a cable of some kind linking it to the gearbox but I'm guessing it's a pig to get at...

If it makes any difference to the answer I haven't had a chance to change the gearbox fluid yet. I've got the stuff but it's still in the can at the moment and not in the 'box.

TIA,
Paul

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Paul, as a starting point I would remove the little nut that attaches the cable to the selector towards the bottom of the gearbox. You can see it from underneath. If lever is still stiff its probably the cable if not ??
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:56 pm

I did that and to be honest with you it wasn't completely obvious still which the problem was. It moved more freely with the selector disconnected but probably not as freely as I might have expected. I've sprayed WD40 everywhere I can get at and also now changed (half of) the ATF. The old fluid looked quite unpleasant...

Went for a test drive and the selector seems to move more easily and the gearchanges are very noticeably smoother.

So I think for now I'll just leave it be and see what happens... The plan is to change the gear oil again and have the sump off and do the filter next time but exactly when that will be I've no idea as I'm very good at planning things but never getting round to them...

Ta,
Paul

Return to “Technical Info”