Club Forum

vibrations from somewhere in the drivetrain

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

vibrations from somewhere in the drivetrain

Postby repton » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Something on my 110 is causing it to rumble/vibrate when travelling at about 50-60mph and when there's some slack in the drivetrain, i.e. when cruising along at a steady pace. It seems to go away if you either floor it or back of completely. I've had a bit of a wiggle about underneath and I can't find anything that looks too badly wrong but there seems to be a bit of play in the front output bearing on the transfer box, and also there's a bit in the sliding joint on the rear propshaft. Would the sensible next move be to remove each prop in turn, put the centre diff in and drive it to see if the problem goes away? Is there anything else anyone can think of that I should check?

Ta,
Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Vibration in "neutral" throttle positions is normally caused by worn UJs on the propshafts or pinion bearings in the diffs.

The front output of the transfer box usually has a bit of play in it, not sure why but even new ones seem to have a bit of movement.

Removing one propshaft at a time would seem like a good start if you can't find any movement in the UJs with them on the vehicle. You might also find that, when you take the prop off, that one of the UJs is seized. Maybe start with the rear prop first as it could be the play in the sliding joint that's causing the problem although I've never had one get so bad it causes a noise.

repton

Postby repton » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave, I had hoped to be able to post that I had found the problem this weekend but as it hasn't at any point stopped raining here long enough for the ground to dry out and I've nowhere undercover that the 110 will fit I've not had a chance to look at it. Hopefully I'll get time before Helmsley next w/e.

Paul

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:58 am

repton wrote:Thanks for the reply Dave, I had hoped to be able to post that I had found the problem this weekend but as it hasn't at any point stopped raining here long enough for the ground to dry out and I've nowhere undercover that the 110 will fit I've not had a chance to look at it. Hopefully I'll get time before Helmsley next w/e.

Paul

Hah! You seen the weather forecast? This is my (enforced) two week holiday when I am not going away and planning to get SO much done! So I'm sorry but it's going to be solid rain for a fortnight :-(

Roger

repton

Postby repton » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Sorted it today, as Dave suspected one of the UJs on the rear prop had siezed up. Helmsley tomorrow then.

Paul

Return to “Technical Info”