Club Forum

Super Soaker washers build

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Super Soaker washers build

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi,
Since the weather has got a little milder I have been sorting one or two things in the early evenings - the sort of jobs that don't need too much light...

One task I set out to do was re-mounting the washer bottle which had been removed during extensive welding. When I realised that - although the RRC has a pump, it has no headlight washers, but the Disco has -I recalled an idea for improving the windscreen washers using the Disco's headlight jets to better cope with mud.

Here is how it went:
Attachments
A Washer Jet Earlier.JPG
First - the existing setup on the Disco bumper:
Cut Here.JPG
They were cut along the line to make them sit at a better angle:
Plumbing.JPG
They were plumbed in using a mix of original pipe and some leftover petrol pipe:
Relay Wiring.JPG
The original relay was used (which limits the super-soakers to a one second blast), but was wired in so that it doesn't need the headlights to be on to work - see the blue wire linking back to the live feed - I now intend to wire this into a switched feed
Super Soakers.JPG
Here they are in action:

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Looks like a good idea... now all you need to do is get it to some mud and see if it works :)

Bring it to Frickley, you know you want to !

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:48 am

davew wrote:Looks like a good idea... now all you need to do is get it to some mud and see if it works :)

Bring it to Frickley, you know you want to !
Oh, I SO want to :)

Unfortunately I still have some serious jobs to do - even without the little problems of tax, insurance and MoT..

Yes! One day she WILL see mud! ;)

I still have to:
Service the brakes (at least one caliper needs replacement)
Rig all the breathers.
Fit the boot floor (a bigger job than it looks if it is to end up with reasonable strength).
Weld the inside of the NS sill.
Fit the NS front wing and grill.
Make the driver's window open properly.
Fix the central locking on the passenger door.
Anything else that the MoT shows up (I think there may be some bushes that need doing)

I think you can see that it's close - unless I find other problems* :O

Rog

* I spoke too soon, while preparing to fit the rear floor I found another bit of teabag and now face more patching and about six feet of welding. At this rate I may have to buy another reel of wire - and I thought I was going to make it :(
Last edited by TwoSheds on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Washer Jets

Postby Graeme C. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm

You should have fitted one of those washer jets to squirt cyclists who lean on the RR at traffic lights. :evil:

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Graham, I wondered if the manual version might be better suited to a series vehicle. Roof mounting would probably be best as you could drill the roof to take a cord tied to the handle (a stick would probably be better if you’re in to engineering as you could push the handle up as well). A 1000lt IBC of water and washer mix in the back should be ample for a day in the mud. Machine Mart sells the pipe and fittings needed. Once painted cream it would blend in seamlessly. The second picture would be a cheap mod to improve the effectiveness of the wipers, a couple of tie wraps should have these fitted in no time.
Attachments
505a1e2a6b6efffd45efffd32fffd3d1cfffdfffd.jpg
9in%20Deck%20Scrub%20Brush%20Head.jpg
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Postby Graeme C. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Bo, You need to get out more.

TwoSheds

Re: Washer Jets

Postby TwoSheds » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:20 am

Graeme C. wrote:You should have fitted one of those washer jets to squirt cyclists who lean on the RR at traffic lights. :evil:

:D
I did think about fitting one sideways for bus queues :twisted: , but after using public transport for 2 weeks recently, I think the poor b's have it hard enough!

Return to “Technical Info”