Club Forum

Bit of a problem with the 110, maybe ignition related?

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Bit of a problem with the 110, maybe ignition related?

Postby repton » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Evening all,

My 110 is playing silly buggers. Started off with what seemed like a slight misfire and within a couple of miles it had got to the stage where it would tick over quite happily, but when you give it any amount of throttle it would cough and splutter. If you are gentle with the throttle and manage to get the revs up it seems ok at higher revs and as long as you keep the revs pretty high it is pulling ok when on the road, just getting there from a standing start without it stalling is very difficult! I managed to get it back from Scarborough today but nearly stalled it a couple of times and once it's stopped it's very difficult to get it running again.

Any ideas where I should start?

Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Is it the same on petrol and gas ?

repton

Postby repton » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:12 pm

I can't try it on petrol as it still doesn't have a petrol tank (yes yes, I know, 18 months should be enough time to fit a new one!)

Paul

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:04 am

lol, no point in rushing the job Paul, take your time :)

What you describe sounds more like a fuelling problem than ignition but maybe you're not getting ignition advance.

If you've got a timing light it'd be worth checking the timing at different RPM and make sure you're getting more advance at higher RPM and the correct advance at idle.

Stuck advance weights might give you too much advance at low RPM making it "pink" under any kind of acceleration and run OK at higher RPMs.

repton

Postby repton » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks for that Dave, I had wondered along the same lines. I do have a timing light that someone gave me years ago, maybe it's time to find out if it works (and if I can work out how to use one). Even if it doesn't I guess I can have a look inside the dizzy and check nothing has come adrift.

Failing that if it's fuel then given the simplicity of the LPG system I have then there's only really the vapouriser to go wrong so I'll give that a good checking over.

Paul

repton

Postby repton » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Had it running today, still doing the same thing. Plugged the timing light in and although I wasn't sure how to check if the timing is set right, it is definitely advancing with rpm so the insides of the dizzy are probably OK. The dizzy isn't loose so I doubt the timing has slipped.

Then proceeded to have a good general check and clean of all electrical connections and stuff and now I can't get the flipping thing to run at all! There's definitely a spark as far as the dizzy, but I've not checked any further than that, yet.

Tried to put some petrol in the carbs with a syringe and some fuel pipe but that didn't work either, and as a "bonus" I've managed to prove why you should always run a LPG'd motor on petrol now and again as the seals at the bottom of the carbs are now leaking. So I need some carb rebuild kits as well as a new fuel tank now.

Paul

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:21 pm

It won't help you in the short term but it looks like I'll have an EFi 3.9 up for grabs in summer. The engine is beyond economical repair but the EFi would bolt onto your engine... might even have an old LPG "collar" in the shed somewhere.

Could well be worth replacing the rotor arm by the sounds of it and maybe the cap. Get genuine though as some of the aftermarket ones are pretty awful.

repton

Postby repton » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:50 pm

davew wrote:It won't help you in the short term but it looks like I'll have an EFi 3.9 up for grabs in summer. The engine is beyond economical repair but the EFi would bolt onto your engine... might even have an old LPG "collar" in the shed somewhere.

That's something I had considered doing as LPG on an EFi intake seems a much nicer setup to me than having twin mixers and the carbs getting in the way.

davew wrote:Could well be worth replacing the rotor arm by the sounds of it and maybe the cap. Get genuine though as some of the aftermarket ones are pretty awful.

Funny you should say that. A few years ago when I had a bit of a misfire issue a new arm+cap fixed it and so I eBayed a new set earlier today. Probably not genuine ones but they are Lucas branded so hopefully not complete rubbish.

Paul

repton

Postby repton » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 pm

New cap+rotor on, and it's running perfectly. I think I should perhaps carry a spare set with me from now on (or perhaps just make a point of changing them annually).

Paul

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Or install that Megajolt you were supposed to be fitting 4 years ago :)

repton

Postby repton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Like you said earlier, there's no point in rushing a job. :lol:

Paul

Return to “Technical Info”