Club Forum

Chrome ball preload..

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Chrome ball preload..

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:35 am

When adjusting the chrome-ball preload on the bench I was dismayed to find that setting it per the book made it's action all notchy. I asked Dave and Matthew about this and was told that was right and that I might like to do it one shim too tight since when it gets out on the road it may well go baggy otherwise.

Well, I was too scared to "over tighten" it and so I assembled it to the book and put it back on the car and then assembled the hub onto it. When I knocked over the locking washer on the hub-bearing adjustment nuts, guess what? The pivot went all sloppy! Although I am SURE that the races were properly seated, it obviously needs a couple of knocks to settle the bearings properly :0

Anyway - thanks to Matthew's other suggestion (slotting the brake pipe holes in the funny little mounting bracket so that you don't have to split the pipes to get it off) re-adjusting the preload is not going to be a problem - but I just thought I would mention it here.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 pm

No offence meant here Roger but why ask the question if you aren't going to listen/act on the answer ? :)
Matthew

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:30 am

Matthews wrote:No offence meant here Roger but why ask the question if you aren't going to listen/act on the answer ? :)
Matthew

Hi Matthew ,
I apologise that it appears I have ignored your advice - in actual fact I did not. I have fully taken on board what you said and have acted upon it - but perhaps in my old curmudgeonly way!

I decided to set the preload per the book since I did not trust my ability to gauge what is 'a little over tight' and since (as you suggested) I have slotted the brake pipe mountings and therefore future adjustments of preload will only take a few minutes - especially since all of the joints have been disturbed. I am planning to re-check/adjust the preload immediately after it's first run (to and from the MoT station)

Basically I thought that I would do it by the book and then - when it loosens off I will do it again. :)

Return to “Technical Info”