Club Forum

rubber side strips, how do I remove the double sided tape?

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

rubber side strips, how do I remove the double sided tape?

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:14 am

That's it really - anybody got any tips?
I've removed the rubber side strips from my RRC (anybody want them? - free...) but it has left a manky, spongy, double-sided tape that was used to stick it on.
Tried scraping - ruins the paint.
Thought about solvents but best would be one that dissolves the glue but leaves the spongy middle strata of the tape so that I can pull it off.
Would heat (hairdryer) work?
Any suggestions?
Rog

Johnb
Full Name: John Bilton

Postby Johnb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:23 pm

Ketone based solvent should work OK without damaging the paint. Propanone (nail varnish remover without the perfume and colourings) is a handy one to use.

Failing that, get a can of MEK Durapipe Solvent/degreaser as this is pure Butanone. Also, you can mix this 10% with 98 Octane (summer blend) to give yourself a quick and easy AVGas Octane boost :D
"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

davel
Full Name: Dave Leach

Postby davel » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Nail varnish remover will probably remove the paint as well. Being in the furniture restoration business i have been called out to numerous dining tables that have had nail varnish remover spilt on them and it is as good as cellulose thinners at dissolving modern lacquered finishes.
I would try white spirit as this should dissolve/soften the adhesive without affecting the paint.

sara
Full Name: Sara Clayton

Postby sara » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:25 am

I'm not sure the effect it would have on the paint but i know that in the house i use lighter fuel (you know the small swan cans for refilling zippo's) to remove sticky marks and labels from things - i've not had damage to anything so far - well unless you count the time i set fire to something but that's a different story!!!
So it may be worth a try is nothing else works.

Return to “Technical Info”