Club Forum

Cooling fan switches

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Cooling fan switches

Postby repton » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 pm

The Kenlowe capillary type thermostat I use to switch the fans on my 110 has died and so I need to replace it. Has anyone got one of these:

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Fan.asp

Or does anyone have anything else they would like to recommend? The Kenlowe thing has been OK but sealing where the capillary goes into the top hose is a right pain plus the fact that it has died puts me off getting another one.

Ta,
Paul

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: Cooling fan switches

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:52 pm

The X-Fan certainly enjoys a good reputation on another forum I frequent - never heard a bad word about either them, or any of the other X products. Personally I just think they are a little expensive..

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Not tried the X-Fan one specifically but I did have a very similar looking one from Merlin motor sport. The range was borderline for a V8 so you had to set it to a value that was really too high before the fans would come on so that it would turn off before the thermostat closed. It died after a year or so.

There is a cheap capillary version available from RS or Farnells that has done the job on Pam's 90 for the last 6 years and costs about a tenner. I'll try and find it and post a link.

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 pm

repton

Postby repton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for finding that out Dave, I'll have a think about it but I've gone off capillary ones I think.

According to paddock's shop a carbed V8 has an 82 degree thermostat and the switch X-Eng supply has two sets of contacts, one of which is on at 88 and off at 83, the other on at 92 and off at 87. So I guess using either both or just the higher one of those would be OK on a carbed V8 (no use on an EFi though if paddocks are right and it has an 88C stat). I also like the idea that if it dies the spare switch is only a tenner.

Paul

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:33 pm

I use Megasquirt to control the fans these days, much simpler !

repton

Postby repton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:42 pm

davew wrote:I use Megasquirt to control the fans these days, much simpler !

Heh, it would be perhaps just a slight bit excessive to fit MS just to control the fans though... ;)

Paul

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Where does MS sense the temp?

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 pm

It uses the coolant temperature sensor which is located in the EFi inlet manifold.

Back on topic and to throw even more ideas about.., I was buying some stuff from carbuildersolutions the other day and noticed this, no idea how it compares price wise to the x-eng setup but gives you a few options....

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/in-line-temp ... 1171-p.asp

Which can be combined with one of their fixed value switches or the variable capillary switch.

repton

Postby repton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:13 pm

davew wrote:Back on topic and to throw even more ideas about.., I was buying some stuff from carbuildersolutions the other day and noticed this, no idea how it compares price wise to the x-eng setup but gives you a few options....

It works out about the same as the X-Fan once you include the fiver for retapping the hole to suit the fan switches and the VAT.

I've bookmarked that site though, could be very useful for bits in the future.

Paul

Orange rover
Full Name: Martin Ellis

Postby Orange rover » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 am

Hi paul i've got an x-switch on the Orange rover and had no probs.
cheers martin.
Another crappy day in paradise
WWW.OCUREM.COM

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Hello Paul...I took one off my P38 Diesel,Am sure its in my shed somewhere....Send a PM with ure address and i'll post it on if ya like..Phil
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:32 am

An advantage of the X-Switch would appear to be the ability to use two different sized fans. A small one could be set to come on at the lower temp and both would then fire if the temp went too high, similar to the system used on some of the Peugeots fitted with air con.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

repton

Postby repton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 am

That's fine for most vehicles Bo but (as Dave pointed out) the lower range on the switch they supply (that turns off at 83C) is too low for an EFi V8 or TDi which (if the googling I've just done is right) have an 88C stat. Most other engines seem to have an 82C stat so it should work fine.

Paul

Return to “Technical Info”