Club Forum

2010 MOT test , no dual purpose vehicles

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

2010 MOT test , no dual purpose vehicles

Postby Matthews » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Some of you may be aware and some not but VOSA have dropped the dual purpose vehicle clause which a lot of us fell into to get a class 4 MOT.
In future to be a class 4 it goes only on weight i.e less than 3000KG.

Check your V5 and see what it says as the DVLA have screwwed up big time for years with Land Rover GVW's/revenue weight.
If you have a 90 your revenue weight should be 2400 or 2550 (bet your V5 says 3499, mine does as this is the default and wrong figure they put down for most Land Rovers) if you have a levelled (usually CSW) 110 it should be 2950 (just into class 4) if it's an unlevelled 110 it should be 3050 so I'm afraid your a class 7.

Fill in the correct figure in box 22 on your V5 and get it sent off to DVLA for change and then take your V5 with you when you go for an MOT so it can be tested at a class 4 station.

If DVLA get funny (they shouldn't as they are going to be inundated with this problem and know it is of their own making) send them a copy of the LR owners manual stating the vehicle GVW.
Matthew

repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:06 pm

Mine is plated at 3050kg, bugger.

Is the limit based on design weight or current plated weight? If it's the latter then I presumably just need a new plate with 2999kg on it. If it's the former then I need to hope the MoT man isn't paying attention when the test comes round.

Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:29 am

If there's no revenue weight in the log book (as is the case on mine and Pam's) then they can only go by the plate on the vehicle. You can get replacement plates from Land Rover if you want to stamp a different weight in (they come blank apart from the VIN number).

repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

Postby repton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:38 am

That's OK then as there's no mention of it on the logbook so I can just get a new plate and stamp it up if I run into problems.

Thanks Dave.

Paul

leeds
Full Name: Brendan

Postby leeds » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Just looking at the V5 on our new 09 110 Utility wagon and the revenue weight is 3050 kg.

Now dug out the technical spec and the GVM of a standard duty 110 is 3050kg, For a standard duty station wagon it is 2950 kg, For a 110 1 ton station wagon it is 3050 kg.

What is the GVM of a 110 Utility wagon??

Guess will have to pop the bonnet and see what is on the VIN plate tomorrow.

Brendan

PS just looked at the offical LR site HERE Guess what the GVM of all standard duty 110 is listed at 3,050 kg. Now which figures will DVLA go by???

Matthews
Treasurer

Postby Matthews » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:07 pm

A levelled station wagon (boogie unint on back axle and softer rear springs) is 2950 ie class 4 all other 110's are 3050 i'm afraid ie class 7 , if you get a blank weighted chassis plate you might get away with it depending upon what comes up on the computer (even with a blank weight chassis plate you will probably have to prove its less than 3000kg with the log book because of the wonderful computer system (be warned Mr White as your log book and DVLA records probably say 3499 or 3050 if they've actually got the correct figure as it used to be a 110), it's not in force yet btw but could happen at any time.
Matthew

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Matthews wrote:be warned Mr White as your log book and DVLA records probably say 3499 or 3050 if they've actually got the correct figure as it used to be a 110)

That is just it though. As Dave stated the 110 log book does not have a revenue weight given and is still registered as a 110. We didn't have the weight removed off the log book, it was never on it.

Paul's is the same so maybe it is the way they register ex-mil vehicles when the come out of the MOD. Suggests to me they were not classed as dual purpose vehicles on registration and therefore should remain Class 4.

To my mind the log book is the vehicle's legal document so if the DVLA think its wrong they should be informing the keeper and issuing a new Log Book, not just putting a load of figures on a computer then expecting the MOT testers to take the flack.

Also, isn't the vehicle excise rate for Light Goods (ie. vehicles that have Class 7 MOTs rather than class 4) cheaper than PLG ? Something else to watch out for if your vehicle is re-classed ??? [/i]
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:34 am

pamw wrote:To my mind the log book is the vehicle's legal document so if the DVLA think its wrong they should be informing the keeper and issuing a new Log Book, not just putting a load of figures on a computer then expecting the MOT testers to take the flack.

But when has being wrong or unfair ever got in the way of a government making money? :x

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 am

pamw wrote:
Also, isn't the vehicle excise rate for Light Goods (ie. vehicles that have Class 7 MOTs rather than class 4) cheaper than PLG ? Something else to watch out for if your vehicle is re-classed ??? [/i]

you are right - i believe its only £125 a year, instead of the £190 the robbing commy barstewards currently steal from us.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Matthews
Treasurer

Postby Matthews » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 pm

I think you'll find light goods is over 3.5 tonnes hence the PLG (private light goods) so it's no difference whatsovever, everyone I know with a van pays about the same as me n you.
Light goods with reduced rates only come into effect after March 2001 for taxation classes and it's only £125 if its a Euro 4 or 5 spec vehicle first registered after 1st March 2003, anything older than that is PLG and £190 , doesn't matter if it's class 4 or 7 MOT as these are MOT classes not tax classes (you can have a sub 3000kg euro 5 van running on a class 4 MOT and £125 TC36 road fund licence.
Even the new 90 and 110's don't comply with Euro 5 afaiaw
Matthew

Return to “Technical Info”