Club Forum

PROJECT AUTO

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
olzook
Full Name: oliver heselton

Postby olzook » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Been to see the 90 today.

Cage, tubular front end and bits and bobs all powder coated and ready to re-fit. Inner wings fitted.

Chassis all strengthened and painted. Axles refurbed and painted, all brake lines run, engine and box fitted and running, winch in, ARB locker in back axle. Axle, gearbox and transfer box breathers being fitted.

All going nicely now!!! Its off for painting on thursday (ooooh shiny) and should all be put back together in the next three weeks 8)

I'll be back very soon.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Sounds promising, are we going to get any pics before we see it ?

olzook

Postby olzook » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:24 am

Nope.

Pics when shes done.

olzook

Postby olzook » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Update.

Ready for re-fitting most bits and bobs.

ARB in, compressor in, winch in and wired to mud console with other stuff, 'Sykes spec' suspension in or should I say on :? (mixture of britpart, and Gwyn Lewis stuff)

It is hopefull for an MOT in about a week and a half in Robin speak so probably 3 weeks to done. 8)

Got to sort out some new comfy seats and a BIG intercooler and diesel tweeks.

Come on DaveW I am going to win at this rate (by employing someone to do it for me :oops: )

Pics soon, looking nice, but then again I am biased.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Pressures on then :)

I'm hoping to finish off my current project at work this week, if i do I'll be taking a few days "holiday" to catch up !

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:17 pm

Don't fit any seats other than standard LR ones or trackkers high backs, ring up and I'll tell you why and no I haven't got any for sale, diesel tweeks are easy but big intercooler can be a prob with the winch unless fitting an upgraded one in the standard slot (they don't make that much difference unless you up the boost anyway and unless you've upgraded the turbo with 360 radial bearings upping the boost will kill it on a 300 as it's a shit turbo compared to the old 200 unit).
Matthew

olzook

Postby olzook » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Matthew

Straight forward advice as ever.

Seats will probably be the same as Dave has in little chevy, after the jimny I have had more than enough of buckets. Not really built for them :oops:

If uprated intercooler does not make much difference why do people buy the like from Twisted etc, more efficient cooler air charge has got to be more efficient and produce a better burn, hasnt it :?

Will give you a bell and hide my wallet as usual :wink:

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:51 am

olzook wrote:If uprated intercooler does not make much difference why do people buy the like from Twisted etc, more efficient cooler air charge has got to be more efficient and produce a better burn, hasnt it :?
:

not really,
Diesels always run 'Lean' with an open inlet - the exact opposite of petrol engines.
So getting a denser and colder charge of air into the cylinders wont actually make much difference, as once all the measured fuel is burnt - the rest of the air is redundant. Set up correctly a diesel engine always burns lean, unless its been over fuelled way too much and it will smoke horribly with unburnt deisel.
You can add a better intercooler and up the fuelling to match to the point where you are just about getting unburnt diesel smoke out the exhaust - but - and its a big BUT - your exhaust gas temps will be through the roof and you risk melting stuff! Even with a standard landrover intercooler, if you up the fuelling to the point where you are using the maximum capacity of the intercooler, you will be reaching dangerously high EGTs. Putting a bigger I/C on and upping the fuelling even more will totally break through the safe temp limits.
Also generally a bigger intercooler is only necessary if you up the turbo boost. Upping the boost on a 300tdi is a bad idea (already runs higher boost than a 200tdi) and will very likely result in blown heads and extremely high EGTs.

There is only so much power you can get safely from an old pushrod engine.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

olzook

Postby olzook » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks Nick

Hmmmmmm, might spend the money elsewhere.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Oliver, if your running the Disco 300 engine you can usually wind up the fuelling to overfuel quite well (thats all TP tend to do) but the trick is to balance the fuelling , diaphram sping pressure and boost pressure together to get a nice progressive flow with it running maybe slightly rich on full throttle, never had a major problem with EGT (Nick seems to have a thing about it but everyone has there own opinion) but in any case it only becomes a problem on a long and sustained uphill drag which allows the temp to build up (engine temp usually rises aswell so you get a warning) but Nick summed up everything else quite well, unless you get the boost pressure a lot higher (which you won't with a standard 300turbo) and then start working on the head to get better aiflow you don't see any major improvement with a bigger intercooler especially in this country , also bear in mind the long and restrictive air tract to the turbo caused by the snorkel and even the physics of the bigger intercooler don't add up so don't waste yer money, don't pay tp to tweek the pump either as it's a rip off and I can tell you some horror stories about products they've sold.
As an afterthought I ran my 180k disco 1 with a recon turbo at 19psi boost for 3 years (pump set at nearly max) and never had any probs with EGT even towing a caravan in summer up to north west Scotland and yes I was the one overtaking cars on the A roads with a van on the back (observing the speed limits of course).
Matthew

olzook

Postby olzook » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 pm

90 back from the painters today, all nice and shiny.

Cage on, wings on, all new lights coming tomorrow, all wired up, new tunnel in for auto box, snorkel up the tunnel, winch wired to allbright and mud console, all very nearly done.

Got a meeting with Robin on Saturday morning to go through final items that need doing.

MOT next week and should be finished and back on the road end of next week.

Phew, there was a time when I thought this might not happen.

Might try and get some piccies on saturday.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 am

It all sounds absolutely spot on - can't wait to see it :)

olzook

Postby olzook » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Been to see the 90 today.

All i can say is 8) . It has turned out better than I hoped.

Just final finishing touches to fit like arch spats etc, new seats going in.

All far too nice to get dirty and bent, ah well.....

Worst bit of the visit was to agree the final bill, :shock: :shock: :shock:

olzook

Postby olzook » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Final stages now.

Collection on Good Friday, so will get some nice pics before it gets used and abused.

All ready for setting out at Crosshills :wink:

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Postby Graeme C. » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:57 pm

I'll bring my camera on saturday then. :)

Return to “Member's Vehicles”