Club Forum

Exhaust nuts

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Exhaust nuts

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm

I couldn't find the nuts which hold the Y pipe to the manifolds, so I have used stainless nylocs. Now It's obvious the nyloc bit will melt so I put spring washers under the nuts, however I am now uneasy that the SS nuts will somehow become 'welded' to the studs... I was a b@ll-aching job getting the nuts on (took two hours of fiddling) so I don't want to replace them unless I need to... Whadayathink? Change them or leave them?

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Well If you need to remove them....why not do when you need to...not now coz you want to???..If ya get my drift?
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm

I was thinking that if they are going to cause trouble then I would rather take them off now than break the studs yousee...

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Wont it be less likely to weld together? I would have thought that stainless would have a higher melting point than mild steel.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about it Roger, SS does tend to "weld" to other SS fittings so a SS nut on a SS bolt will be a pain to undo later. A SS nut won't be as likely to stick to a HT steel stud though and I'd have thought would be less likely to cause a problem in the future than a HT steel nut.

No sign of the paperwork from DVLA yet then ? :)

TwoSheds

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:25 am

davew wrote:I wouldn't worry about it Roger, SS does tend to "weld" to other SS fittings so a SS nut on a SS bolt will be a pain to undo later. A SS nut won't be as likely to stick to a HT steel stud though and I'd have thought would be less likely to cause a problem in the future than a HT steel nut.

Thanks Dave - I feel happier now.

davew wrote:No sign of the paperwork from DVLA yet then ? :)

I rush through the house like a little boy every day to check - but nothing yet... :(

Return to “Technical Info”